Mediterranean Game Hens

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Grilled a couple of Game Hens over the weekend. Used a different recipe that was absolutely delicious. Sided it up with a nice cool Couscous, Cucumber and Parsley Salad and finally some grilled carrots. Just a few pic's of the cook

Spatched the game hens and seasoned coarse sea salt, ground turmeric, ground cumin, and some coarsely ground black pepper.

enhance

Here's the salad. Made it ahead of time so I could chill and let the flavors meld together. Diced fresh red tomatoes, diced red onion, 4 jalapenos with seeds, flat leaf, lemon juice and sea salt.

enhance

Carrots took 45 minutes so I got them on next.

enhance

With about three minutes to go applied glaze to the carrots. Honey, soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, fresh grated ginger and red pepper flakes.

enhance

Got the hens over direct heat.

enhance

That heavy seasoning got pretty dark. Should have raised the grate another turn. It was delicious though. The hens cooked rapidly to about 170 IT.

enhance

Got it plated up.

enhance

As I mentioned, the flavor of that rub on these hens was off the chart. Will be doing it again down the road. That soy glaze on the carrots was delicious too. Have a good week everyone and thanks for looking.

That looks pretty amazing Cliff. Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between Mediterranean & Cornish Game Hens?

lol Chuck. Everything looks great Cliff but the salad steals the show...That looks outstanding. I would of ate it all by myself.

Beautiful cook. Have not had game hens in years - that has to change. Love the sides. Must be nice....

That looks outstanding, Cliff. Can you share any more details on that rub? Thinking I might have to do this w/ some chicken this weekend.

Can you share any more details on that rub?

You bet Jim. I pulled this rub from a Steven Raichlen recipe. Basted the hens with oil and applied the rub.

1 tablespoon coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper or more black pepper
4 game hens (each 1 to 1-1/4 pounds)

I think you'll like it.

Last edited:
Cliff you out did yourself again, awesome cook. I'm going to be making some of those carrots real soon.

Back