Good temperature probe

Fred BW

TVWBB Fan
Hi all. I bought a used 18 WSM,and tried it out this weekend,and couldn't be happier. Ribs turned out beautiful. But i can see I'm going to want a temp probe for "bigger things". I am tempted to buy the 45 dollar one on Amazon,but i thought I better ask here first.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B014DAVHSQ/tvwb-20

I used a Brinkman smoker for years,and never used one. But I'm getting more precise in my old age. I see different types,and was just wondering if there is a probe that stands above the rest. I have never used one,and I'm not sure just what it is I want or need. TIA..... Fred

Fred;
I have used a Maverick 732 remote thermometer for several years. I have had a couple of probes fail and they were not mistreated. I have recently added a Thermoworks "Smoke" remote to my tool kit. The Smoke remote is reported to have much better probes and is easier to use. It is a bit more expensive, but my choice at this time.

I cannot imagine NOT using a good remote (been there and done that). They really raise the pleasure level when doing a long cook.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

ThermoWorks, makers of the Thermapen, are having an open box sale on their Smoke model. I posted a link in the equipment forum in the "Smoke Review" thread. They get good reviews and I've been very happy with the other ThermoWorks products I've purchased.

I've been extremely happy with the thermoworks smoke. It is easy to use and durable.
I accidentally knocked it off the deck railing and it still works, hardly a scratch. It did give me a funny reading on one cook,...but it had started to pour rain and I was getting the umbrella setup, so it got wet for a minute. My meat temp went haywire. I simply removed the plug from the device and made a "needle" with a paper towel to dry out the female end of the plug and it then returned to normal.

Looks and feels like a solid, well made device. 5-star

If I didn't already have two Mavericks I would get the smoke. The Mavericks have worked fine for a couple of years although I have gone through a couple of probes. I have a couple of spares so it's no big deal. I also have a couple of thermopops which are excellent products.

If you don't need to know the temp while your out shopping, the thermopop is a good simple choice. :)

I got my smoker and a Thermoworks Smoke in June. I've been extremely happy with the Smoke and have used it on Boston Butt, bacon, beef ribs, bacon, and most recently, salmon. Haven't overcooked a thing (well, except for the beef ribs, but that was not the thermometer's fault. We were at the ER. :D) It's nice to set a range of high and low temps, and just let the smoker do its thing while you're sitting inside. Especially in Florida. :cool:

If I didn't already have two Mavericks I would get the smoke. The Mavericks have worked fine for a couple of years although I have gone through a couple of probes. I have a couple of spares so it's no big deal. I also have a couple of thermopops which are excellent products.
Has anyone tried the ThermoWorks probes with other products like the Maverick? They generally have higher temperature ratings and are built better than most of the other probes I've used. If they work with the Maverick or other units it might be a good way to reliably extend the life of those.

I bought that one, and I'm not disappointed. It's pretty cheap if it bites the dust in a year, I will replace it with a better one. First foray using one? you have to start somewhere.

I did a year flying naked, just a turkey fryer therm stuck in the top vent (08 WSM) Bought a Mav and really liked it at first, but the more I used my WSM and learned how it behaves I ditched the remote probes and just went with my gut feelings. ( It's worked so far ):wsm:

If I was starting out again I would go with the Smoke.

Tim

Thanks for the advice. I grit my teeth,turned my head,and ordered a Thermoworks Smoke. Yea it's kind of steep. But this is turning into kind of a hobby for me.. And hobbies are supposed to be stress free. If the probe quits working right when you really need it,you get ....... Stress :D
I will forget what it costs in a few weeks as long as it works.
I'm sure there are some valuable things to learn by watching temps.

I just got a Thermoworks Smoke a week or so ago. It made smoking fish in my Weber Genesis 1000 Gasser easy. Love it.

I'll be honest, I was close to pulling the trigger on the Thermoworks Smoke, and then I stumbled upon the FireBoard. My wife actually bought it for me for my birthday, and she bought the kit that came with 6 probes. Although, it actually came with 8 probes, 2 pit probes and 6 meat probes. I love that I can connect it to my wifi and view my temps over the internet, no more range issues with receivers or bluetooth. I was actually monitoring my pit temps one day while I was out picking up rolls for the party. Not ony does it keep temp logs of your cooks in the app, but you can also access them through their website. You can also rename each channel, so you can name it something actually descriptive for what you're measuring. From what I've been reading, they've also developed a fan controller. It's pricey, but totally worth it, in my opinion.

With all of that said, I've religiously used my Maverick 732s for years, but lost a probe with one and decided that it was time to see if I could get something with more channels.

Back