Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genesis Gold C restoration ?

TVWBB Super Fan
    CB,
    Regarding the carbon build up-
    Use a single edge razor blade followed by some 000 steel wool and Simple Green. Be prepared to change the blade often as although it is hard, you do not want to scratch the porcelain underside.That was the most time-consuming part of all my restores as it seems like it will never get clean but don't give up.

Weber makes a updated drip rail wisely made out of aluminum instead of the original steel.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bot...g59hkv58pu7p97

Pick up a pair and hopefully after some soaking the screws will come right out with a socket or if the head is rounded off use a regular screwdriver.

Don't forget to grab some pics before and after.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff MA; 09-04-2017 at 08:36 AM.

TVWBB Fan
    On the rails those screws soak with pb blaster at least 1/2 hour then try to move them slowly hit them again if they don't move they will come out mine were all just about destroyed and had to use some quiksteel to repair one of the posts and then will have to tap them.

Household SS steel wool and simple green works good for the inside of the lid if you really want to clean it down to the enamel. If you are not reselling the grill, I wouldn't bother going all the way to enamel. It is a long hard job, even with the HD steel wool. And, a couple cooks later, you will have it all coated with carbon again. I would just go over it quickly with the SS and simple green. Get off what you can easily and don't worry about the rest....unless you really want to, then, just keep scrubbing. I have done it to 8 or 9 lids and never scratched one using the SS steel wool.

You are probably looking at buying a new drip tray holder or finding one from a donor grill.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

First, Thanks for all the quick responses.

The razor blade worked wonders, we relatively quick and GREAT results!

I bought a wired cup brush and started on the inside of the fire box and end caps yesterday . . . boy that is a pain in the "neck"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not as good of results as I was hoping for, going to Lowes at lunch to look at other attachments for angle grinder. Other than some more work there I am ready to paint the fire box and ends. Then do a little rust repair on the frame. Ordering parts today.

I will figure out pictures this week, I have taken a lot so should have some pretty good progress and before/after eventually.

Regarding cleaning too much because it will just get dirty after first use, I am restoring this for my son and daughter in law so want to look as "new" as possible
    2005 Summit Platinum D6 - "modified"
    2001 Genesis Gold C - green

Then yes, you will want to clean her up good. I agree, the angle grinder and wire cup brush are a pain, but if you think about sanding, scraping and scrubbing that would be required to get it as clean, then the worst part is the mess.

Looking forward to the pictures.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12