Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Gold C restoration ?

Genesis Gold C restoration ?

I am planning a restoration of my 2001 Genesis Gold C to give to my son as a house warming gift. It is the one that has green enamel lid and side tables and a side burner.

My question is how to restore the gray plastic frames around the side tables and the same gray plastic handle? They look chalky mainly. Any ideas.

I bought this grill originally and then bought a used Summit D6 about 5 years ago and have been saving my old one for my son, but it needs a restoration first.

Thanks for any help!
    2005 Summit Platinum D6 - "modified"
    2001 Genesis Gold C - green

My experience with plastic is that you can finish (sand) it to a new looking condition, this would involve a lot of different grits of sandpaper and liberal elbow grease.

Another option to consider would be the stuff on tv that you can restore the finish on your car bumper with.

One other idea might be the headlight refinishing kits available.

I would of course try any of these on a less visible area.

Hopefully one of the restoration experts has a secret ;-)
    "If your mind goes blank be sure to turn off the sound." (Twain)

TVWBB Super Fan
    CB,
    I love the design of the 2001 Weber Gold B/C grills as they only used that design for two years so it is rather unique with it's raised porcelain side tables but you're right, most of the units I looked at have that same faded/chalky look.

I have cleaned outdoor plastic chairs with this method in the past and it may be worth a try on your Weber.

http://www.tastefullyeclectic.com/cl...-patio-chairs/

Jeff

TVWBB Super Fan
    I just remembered the couple things I tried on the 3 plastic burner knobs on my last restores that might be of use to your restore.

The first one I did was a 50/50 mix of bleach and water followed by a long soak.
    The second was a soak in straight Simple Green.
    With both ideas I used an old toothbrush to do some light scrubbing.

Both ways produced knobs that looked brand new.

For those who are unsure what the Gold Weber's looked like in 2000/2001 you can see some examples here-

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?557...Genesis-Gold-C

http://www.weberflavorizerbars.com/w...is-gold-parts/

Jeff

Jeff

TVWBB Super Fan
    Take it slow and easy ... the trouble with plastic parts is you get only one chance! I'd like to think that silicone based products like Armor All and the like would not cause more damage, but I'm not sure the nature of flaking plastic.

I'd say take your time, keep asking on here and somebody will give you a "THIS is what you do!" type response ...

Thanks for all the quick responses!

Jeff A, you are correct my grill is rare and looks just like the green one in your link (btw, that link is a good resource for part numbers) mine is the older version with square gray igniter button.

I am fortunate I have almost no rust at all, just a little surface rust on the back of the frame. Side panels on lid need to be painted and burners, grates, igniter, wheels and a lot of cleaning! Of course the plastic from my original post topic, the painting techniqu may be a good one.

TVWBB All-Star
    Clean with Dawn detergent, then pour some mineral oil on a rag and give the plastic a good wipe down.
    Ranch Kettle x 2, MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

TVWBB Super Fan
    CB,
    If you want to replace that Molded Trim panel ereplacements.com have one available, check out reference # 16
    Appears to fit either side too.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/web...87_193325.html

Jeff

I'd also check with Weber if they have that trim piece, their prices are usually lower but you have to call them and speak to a person to order. $7 flat rate shipping!
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold B, 1996 Genesis 1000
    Projects: 1998 Spirit 900

I started the initial cleaning today, really in great shape, little rust, green has held up well!

1. How do I clean the carbon build up off the inside of the lid? I flaked as much off as I could with a putty knife

2. One of the rails is broken off that the drip tray slides on, is there a common way to fix this?

Going to use angle grinder and cup brush on the inside tomorrow and paint prep the outside and lid ends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast