Genesis Gold C restoration ?

CBVickrey

TVWBB Member
I am planning a restoration of my 2001 Genesis Gold C to give to my son as a house warming gift. It is the one that has green enamel lid and side tables and a side burner.

My question is how to restore the gray plastic frames around the side tables and the same gray plastic handle? They look chalky mainly. Any ideas.

I bought this grill originally and then bought a used Summit D6 about 5 years ago and have been saving my old one for my son, but it needs a restoration first.

Thanks for any help!

My experience with plastic is that you can finish (sand) it to a new looking condition, this would involve a lot of different grits of sandpaper and liberal elbow grease.

Another option to consider would be the stuff on tv that you can restore the finish on your car bumper with.

One other idea might be the headlight refinishing kits available.

I would of course try any of these on a less visible area.

Hopefully one of the restoration experts has a secret ;-)

CB,
I love the design of the 2001 Weber Gold B/C grills as they only used that design for two years so it is rather unique with it's raised porcelain side tables but you're right, most of the units I looked at have that same faded/chalky look.

I have cleaned outdoor plastic chairs with this method in the past and it may be worth a try on your Weber.

http://www.tastefullyeclectic.com/clean-plastic-patio-chairs/

Jeff

I just remembered the couple things I tried on the 3 plastic burner knobs on my last restores that might be of use to your restore.

The first one I did was a 50/50 mix of bleach and water followed by a long soak.
The second was a soak in straight Simple Green.
With both ideas I used an old toothbrush to do some light scrubbing.

Both ways produced knobs that looked brand new.

For those who are unsure what the Gold Weber's looked like in 2000/2001 you can see some examples here-

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?55796-Cleaned-up-Genesis-Gold-C

http://www.weberflavorizerbars.com/weber-genesis-gold-parts/

Jeff

Jeff

Take it slow and easy ... the trouble with plastic parts is you get only one chance! I'd like to think that silicone based products like Armor All and the like would not cause more damage, but I'm not sure the nature of flaking plastic.

I'd say take your time, keep asking on here and somebody will give you a "THIS is what you do!" type response ...

Thanks for all the quick responses!

Jeff A, you are correct my grill is rare and looks just like the green one in your link (btw, that link is a good resource for part numbers) mine is the older version with square gray igniter button.

I am fortunate I have almost no rust at all, just a little surface rust on the back of the frame. Side panels on lid need to be painted and burners, grates, igniter, wheels and a lot of cleaning! Of course the plastic from my original post topic, the painting techniqu may be a good one.

Clean with Dawn detergent, then pour some mineral oil on a rag and give the plastic a good wipe down.

I'd also check with Weber if they have that trim piece, their prices are usually lower but you have to call them and speak to a person to order. $7 flat rate shipping!

I started the initial cleaning today, really in great shape, little rust, green has held up well!

1. How do I clean the carbon build up off the inside of the lid? I flaked as much off as I could with a putty knife

2. One of the rails is broken off that the drip tray slides on, is there a common way to fix this?

Going to use angle grinder and cup brush on the inside tomorrow and paint prep the outside and lid ends.

CB,
Regarding the carbon build up-
Use a single edge razor blade followed by some 000 steel wool and Simple Green. Be prepared to change the blade often as although it is hard, you do not want to scratch the porcelain underside.That was the most time-consuming part of all my restores as it seems like it will never get clean but don't give up.

Weber makes a updated drip rail wisely made out of aluminum instead of the original steel.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bo...476259.html?osCsid=0r47mnql455bg59hkv58pu7p97

Pick up a pair and hopefully after some soaking the screws will come right out with a socket or if the head is rounded off use a regular screwdriver.

Don't forget to grab some pics before and after.

Jeff

Last edited:
On the rails those screws soak with pb blaster at least 1/2 hour then try to move them slowly hit them again if they don't move they will come out mine were all just about destroyed and had to use some quiksteel to repair one of the posts and then will have to tap them.

Household SS steel wool and simple green works good for the inside of the lid if you really want to clean it down to the enamel. If you are not reselling the grill, I wouldn't bother going all the way to enamel. It is a long hard job, even with the HD steel wool. And, a couple cooks later, you will have it all coated with carbon again. I would just go over it quickly with the SS and simple green. Get off what you can easily and don't worry about the rest....unless you really want to, then, just keep scrubbing. I have done it to 8 or 9 lids and never scratched one using the SS steel wool.

You are probably looking at buying a new drip tray holder or finding one from a donor grill.

First, Thanks for all the quick responses.

The razor blade worked wonders, we relatively quick and GREAT results!

I bought a wired cup brush and started on the inside of the fire box and end caps yesterday . . . boy that is a pain in the "neck"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not as good of results as I was hoping for, going to Lowes at lunch to look at other attachments for angle grinder. Other than some more work there I am ready to paint the fire box and ends. Then do a little rust repair on the frame. Ordering parts today.

I will figure out pictures this week, I have taken a lot so should have some pretty good progress and before/after eventually.

Regarding cleaning too much because it will just get dirty after first use, I am restoring this for my son and daughter in law so want to look as "new" as possible:)

Then yes, you will want to clean her up good. I agree, the angle grinder and wire cup brush are a pain, but if you think about sanding, scraping and scrubbing that would be required to get it as clean, then the worst part is the mess.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Hahahha, cobwebs. I have come across a lot of stuff in my grills, but not cob webs. Looks like you have a nice unit for restoring though.

Finished my 2001 Genesis Gold C restoration. I bought this grill new in 2001, replaced it about 6 years ago with a 2005 Summit D6. I kept the Genesis to give to my son (who is a very good cook and loves to grill) one day. He just bought his first house so I decided to restore this grill for a house warming gift for him and his wife.

Here are some before pics:
http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/vickrey1965/media/20170821_190312_zpsjl2ktsmv.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12
http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/v...170916_132152_zpspindwuvj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

Back