I made a Rocket Stove

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
as a Christmas gift to my daughter & her husband. It's heavy, but they do a lot of camping out of their full-size pickup so the weight wouldn't be a problem.

They sent me a few pix of it in use. Baked some bread with it (said they put a few coals on top of the DO for a bit).

bfd5756a-3068-4a59-a850-a23d62e3f5ae_zps59m1pm0w.jpg

They were happily suprised because they were expecting a burnt bottom & a gooey top.

cfd5ef89-8ec1-4239-9abb-899c6551752c_zpsjhblldxz.jpg

Robert, you have got to stop making cool stuff! I've wanted one of those things since I saw my first one! Now, it's almost as much to dispense with yard twigs etc. as really cooking on it!

Thanks, everyone. My SIL loves making bread, but this was not expected. Thought the'd be frying bacon & eggs or heating water.

So how big is that? Is that a 8 QT pot on top? Is the only vent, the vent where the wood is sticking out? That's pretty Robert, you never cease to amaze me

So how big is that? Is that a 8 QT pot on top? Is the only vent, the vent where the wood is sticking out? ..snip

Square tubing?

I think it might be a 4 qt DO (also a Xmas present from a few years ago).

I made it last fall & never documented it. Did a fair amount of research before I built. So... here's from memory: the stack has to be longer than the intake otherwise it won't vent proper. Made a "trap door" to dump the ash just below the intersection of the feeder tube & uptake tube so one doesn't have to shut down in the middle of a cook to empty ashes. There is a grate (expanded metal) about 1" above the bottom of the intake that extends 1" or so into the main tube. It allows air flow below the fuel. Main combustion occurs slightly above the intersection of the feeder tube & the uptake tube. I used 3" square 3/16" wall tube (new material found at a scrap metal yard). Angled the feeder tube so it would be slightly "self feeding". Built a 1 1/4" high right angle removable cross grate (3/16" flat bar) that sits on top of the main tube. It extends about 3" in all directions beyond the edge main tube. Allows use of pots/pans to be heated by the fire.

I always wanted to fire it & see how it worked. Didn't do that because they would have gotten a "used" rocket stove for Xmas.

Last edited:
Got any pictures of the trap door, Robert? ..snip Good job!

Thanks. Like I said no documentation (pix &/or notes). I cut a slot in one side of the main tube below the intersection of the upright & feeder. A removable "plate" slides in & out in the slot.
Clear as mud, right?

Thanks. Like I said no documentation (pix &/or notes). I cut a slot in one side of the main tube below the intersection of the upright & feeder. A removable "plate" slides in & out in the slot.
Clear as mud, right?

Somewhat clear.

The sliding plate makes sense, but do the ashes fall out the bottom after removing the plate?

Sorry for my inquisitive mind. :eek:

Last edited:
There's a you tube on rocket stove design out there, the use of square tubing for one is durable for sure, there is another one on making one using cement block too which I thought might be fun for a quick heat blast, not sure what I might use it for but, a stack of block to cook a steak might be interesting.

Back