WSM Temps

Tom Cowsert

I haven't even assembled my 22" WSM, yet, and have a question. Is it fairly easy to get the WSM to 350 or 400 and maintain that temp for 2 to 3 hours? If so, any tips or tricks on how this is done will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom i do not have a 22 only a 18.5 but i believe they run about the same I use this higher temp all the time while cooking turkeys and it holds high 300's for 3 to 4 hours.

There shouldn't be any problem hitting and maintaining that temp. Don't put water in the pan. Just wrap the pan in foil for easy cleanup (trust me, don't skip this step). You're looking for a pretty big fire so fill the charcoal ring and light a full chimney of briqs. This is one case where you might want to skip the Minion method and put the lit briqs on the bottom so the rest of the charcoal lights faster. Like Kevin, I've done this several times for turkey. This is my preferred approach for doing whole chickens as well. Low and slow for whole birds results in a skin I find extremely unappetizing. Just be prepared for skin that's a lot darker than what you normally see in an oven.

I keep wondering the reason behind folks wanting to maintain the 350-400 degree temps using a WSM? For high heat (like that) I don't understand the reason to use the WSM, those are basic kettle temperatures. What are the proteins being cooked in that manner?
That is not heat used for long cook times as far as I know, Minion method is designed for fuel conservation which those temperatures will not support.
If you are doing something like fulll power high temp work, take the pan OUT (no reason for the heat shield and, even less cleanup), the distance from the live fire is far enough that, unless your birds sweat gasoline, flares should be minimal.
Also, take the lower cook rack out too unless you have a deep seated fondness for cleaning racks.
If I'm missing something about all this please feel free to enlighten me but, high heat means large quantities of fuel, burning pretty much full on not really one of the things I have ever thought the WSM was designed for not saying it's impossible just not what it was designed for.

Yea, I agree with the other Members, but most of us old timers could flip the door over for more higher heat. You can't do that on the newer models because they have an arched top.
Simple solution if you're not getting the heat you need is to slip a metal spatula between the lid and mid section. You are adding more air to the fire, but you also have to watch it closely, because it can get away from you.

Tim

I keep wondering the reason behind folks wanting to maintain the 350-400 degree temps using a WSM? For high heat (like that) I don't understand the reason to use the WSM, those are basic kettle temperatures. What are the proteins being cooked in that manner? .
Reasons I would use the WSM rather than my Weber kettle...
1) Fuel capacity. I can fill the WSM once and not worry about fuel. The kettle would likely need to be refueled two or three times.
2) Better heat control. Air flow control on my kettle is at best a very gross adjustment that is difficult to gauge. On the WSM it's simple and I can easily see the position of the vents.
3) More even heat distribution. With the kettle I'm banking the coals or using my charcoal corrals, which gives me a directional heat source. In the WSM with the pan in place I get heat coming fairly evenly up the sides and completely surrounding the food. On the kettle I have to worry about rotating the food to avoid overcooking the spots closest to the fire. Not so much with the WSM.
4) Protein capacity. Six, maybe eight, chickens on the WSM without a problem. If I'm not looking to cook directly over coals, I can get two birds max on the kettle. Two very large turkeys on the WSM without a problem. One max on the kettle.
5) It's way more impressive when company is coming. Everybody has a Weber kettle. Lots of people have never even seen a WSM.

Something like a turkey is just way easier to do on the WSM due to the large fuel capacity. Even if you're only doing a small one, you're looking at 2-1/2 to 3 hours cook time. In a kettle you're going to need to refuel several times. With the WSM you load it up and not be bothered about fuel again. For a bigger bird you'd be making half a dozen or more refuels on the kettle. I'm honestly not sure on the WSM as I've never done a really big turkey, though one time I finished a 12 pound turkey and then put on the peach pie that took at least another hour with no refueling required. So my guess is you might need to add a bit more charcoal along the way if you're doing a 20 pound turkey but I doubt you'd have to refuel more than once.

Thank you all for the replies. I don't have a kettle. I have a pellet smoker and now the WSM. The reason for the question was out of curiosity. My research showed a lot of folks wanting to cook around 250, and some complaints about it running hot at 275. Just wondered if it could get to 350 or 400 to know what the beast will do. Glad to know I am not limited to only low temps. Much more worth it to me.

I place a metal skewer horizontally between the lid and center section without water in the pan. It'll get hot all right.

I keep wondering the reason behind folks wanting to maintain the 350-400 degree temps using a WSM? For high heat (like that) I don't understand the reason to use the WSM, those are basic kettle temperatures. What are the proteins being cooked in that manner?

Larry Wolfe's Pepper Stout Beef... 350 Deg F

For myself, it's just an increase in the Stoker's setpoint and (maybe) a slight opening of one of the previously closed bottom vents.

Reasons I would use the WSM rather than my Weber kettle...
1) Fuel capacity. I can fill the WSM once and not worry about fuel. The kettle would likely need to be refueled two or three times.
2) Better heat control. Air flow control on my kettle is at best a very gross adjustment that is difficult to gauge. On the WSM it's simple and I can easily see the position of the vents.
3) More even heat distribution. With the kettle I'm banking the coals or using my charcoal corrals, which gives me a directional heat source. In the WSM with the pan in place I get heat coming fairly evenly up the sides and completely surrounding the food. On the kettle I have to worry about rotating the food to avoid overcooking the spots closest to the fire. Not so much with the WSM.
4) Protein capacity. Six, maybe eight, chickens on the WSM without a problem. If I'm not looking to cook directly over coals, I can get two birds max on the kettle. Two very large turkeys on the WSM without a problem. One max on the kettle.
5) It's way more impressive when company is coming. Everybody has a Weber kettle. Lots of people have never even seen a WSM.

Something like a turkey is just way easier to do on the WSM due to the large fuel capacity. Even if you're only doing a small one, you're looking at 2-1/2 to 3 hours cook time. In a kettle you're going to need to refuel several times. With the WSM you load it up and not be bothered about fuel again. For a bigger bird you'd be making half a dozen or more refuels on the kettle. I'm honestly not sure on the WSM as I've never done a really big turkey, though one time I finished a 12 pound turkey and then put on the peach pie that took at least another hour with no refueling required. So my guess is you might need to add a bit more charcoal along the way if you're doing a 20 pound turkey but I doubt you'd have to refuel more than once.

Ok, I'll agree on capacity but, for thirty years I've been cooking turkeys on a kettle (up to and including 24 pound ones) and never had any difficulty refueling, and since the advent of the flip up side area on the grate, it's not at all difficult.
As for temp control, learn the intricacies of either piece of equipment and that is not difficult.
Tom, Depending on what you want to do, you can get things plenty hot as you wish.
For goodness sake, it's yours, you can load it, fuel it, smoke, not smoke as you desire, just have fun.

Larry Wolfe's Pepper Stout Beef... 350 Deg F

For myself, it's just an increase in the Stoker's setpoint and (maybe) a slight opening of one of the previously closed bottom vents.
But, that's a finishing temperature, it's not for the extended time period of the cook.
Mr. Wolfe even says bump the temp or put it in the oven after an IT of 160 that makes perfect sense to me, that piece of chuck is only going to accept so much smoke so, 160 is the smart time to move to the simplicity of foil and oven. Just because you can. doesn't always mean it's a good idea. I will allow that it is indeed possible but, is it a good use of fuel, maybe for some. I'll get to 160 and move it to the oven.
All the methods are perfectly valid techniques, just not necessarily ones I may utilize. Seeking greater understanding here is what the forum is for, right?

That is not heat used for long cook times as far as I know, Minion method is designed for fuel conservation which those temperatures will not support.
If you are doing something like fulll power high temp work, take the pan OUT (no reason for the heat shield and, even less cleanup), the distance from the live fire is far enough that, unless your birds sweat gasoline, flares should be minimal.
Also, take the lower cook rack out too unless you have a deep seated fondness for cleaning racks.
If I'm missing something about all this please feel free to enlighten me but, high heat means large quantities of fuel, burning pretty much full on not really one of the things I have ever thought the WSM was designed for not saying it's impossible just not what it was designed for.

If you do a search on the forum, some of us like doing HH brisket or PP. The WSM by design is a water smoker ( some of us don't use it) It was designed for low & slow ( but again, some of us don't do that) So it goes back to what you want to do in your backyard.:wsm:

Tim

I understand the design pretty well Tim, I've been a Weber guy for almost 40 years, though relatively new to the intricacies of the WSM. I do not use water either, never have. My brother does all the time, everyone finds things that work for them.
HH is one thing, there are surely different techniques for any application, I'm just not sure why some folks do what they do.
Don't feel the need to search for information I already have gleaned from the esteemed members here. Thanks though.
I also know of a guy who burns high full kettle loads of coals and complains about burning everything, I have tried to teach him about some other methods but, he will not listen. It just proves the old adage:
"You can lead a w---e to culture but, you can't make her learn."

Last edited:
Ok, I'll agree on capacity but, for thirty years I've been cooking turkeys on a kettle (up to and including 24 pound ones) and never had any difficulty refueling, and since the advent of the flip up side area on the grate, it's not at all difficult.
I think this is probably down to different strokes... I tend to think of my grill as being for direct heat cooking. If I want indirect, I tend to lean toward the smoker. Certainly the grill can be used for indirect, and I've used it that way many times, but for a longer cook or for anything bigger than about a five pound roast, I'm probably going to go with the smoker. I find fuel and heat management easier on the smoker. There's no right or wrong answer, just personal preference.

Minion method is designed for fuel conservation which those temperatures will not support.

True, and if you catch your temps on the way up and start closing your bottom vents just shy of 25 deg of target you're normally dialed in.
But you can still do a MM on HH. And that's important because you still want the meat to get some smoke love so you kinda bring the temps up naturally, once you hit about 140 or you like the color then crack open the vents and let it go. Now that's how I do a HH smoke. If doing a HH grill like on roadside chicken I would start with a fully lit chimney dumped on a 1/2 ring of unlit. I keep the water pan in for the most part( foiled) when using both racks, I like the added buffer of using a deflector but that's me.

Tim

There are always times when specifically fine tuning a method is just what is called for.
I'm not saying you can't do any thing your heart (or stomach) drives you to attempt.

For a long time, I didn't have a charcoal kettle of any kind, so using the WSM for high-temp cooking of poultry was all I could do. Now I've got the ultimate charcoal kettle, the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, so that's no excuse anymore.

However, I must say that I like doing high heat chicken in the WSM on the top grate with a really hot fire down below, water pan completely removed...that distance between top grate and fire eliminates most flare-ups reaching the chicken and still provides grilled flavor from vaporized fat. Only need to maintain that temp for 1 hour, not 2-3 as asked by the original poster.

Turkey is another reason I like to run the WSM at 350°F. Again, never had a kettle for many years, so it was the way to go. Empty water pan, slung the foil above the bottom of the pan to catch drippings for gravy.

The WSM is a better indirect cooker than the kettle. It has more indirect cooking space. It also has a more even heat source since the food is farther away from the charcoal and has some sort of object blocking direct heat.

Back