My first attempt at smoked salmon

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
First, thanks to all who replied to my "what smoke wood do you use for salmon" post! My wife had suggested apple, but the recipe Chris has says alder. I had both so I was torn. In the end, I decided to go with alder...but, wait I'm jumping a head of myself.

So, confession time: I don't really like fish. I know, a Floridian that doesn't like fish!?! It's true. I'll eat some occasionally, usually mahi mahi or swordfish. I usually will pass on fish until the wife becomes really insistent and cranky about not having seafood. She's from Maine, so she's a big seafood eater. We tried the Scottish Salmon from our Earth Fare probably about a year ago and I decided it was passable for a seafood meal. Over the past couple of weeks, the misses has been getting seafood cranky...that phase where every time she brings it up, I shoot it down and she drops hints whenever we're at the store. For the first time in a while, she did the groceries alone this past Friday. She came home with a 1.75 pound filet of Scottish Salmon and some shrimp. She said, "You're going to smoke this. The guy said he would use cherry or apple." I remembered seeing Chris' article for Brown Sugar Rub Salmon. Not 100% sold on this idea, I came up with a few alternatives, showed them to the wife and she told me to do that recipe in Chris' post. I got all the ingredients, including a special stop for savory. Then, I created the first rub and put the fish in the fridge:

pRPPiFzh.jpg

Then, three hours later, I rinsed the fish off and put it back in the fridge for a half an hour to get sticky/tacky. While this happened, I prepared the WSM for action. I was a little concerned with the amount of smoking wood that was used in Chris' article, but I just happened to have 6 small pieces of Maine Grilling Woods' Golden Alder. So, I put all six pieces in with the lighter charcoal for minion method.

y0G59t9h.jpg

Rather than wait to get up to temp first, I went ahead and put on the finishing rub and put the fish on the grate.

bZtF1Gbh.jpg

Within no time, the smoker was up to 190* or so. The fish was heating up pretty quickly too. Once the smoker hit 225*, I went and closed the bottom vents to about 33%. From there, I figured that I would just let her ride until the fish was done or the smoker got hotter than 265*. It never got that high, it cruised right about 245* for the last 15-20 minutes while the fish was finishing. I wasn't timing it, but I'm guessing the total cook time was 45 minutes.

Here she is before I put a blanket on her to rest.

IN6Pg6qh.jpg

jpqUAB8h.jpg

srUYKoPh.jpg

The color from the smoke wasn't quite as dark as what Chris got, could be the difference between Scottish Salmon and King Salmon. But, the flavor was just about perfect (for fish). Just like Chris said, "In terms of taste, it had a well-balanced flavor of salmon, smoke, and seasoning." After every cook, I ask the misses what she thinks...for honest feedback for tweaks in the future. When I asked her what she thought, her reply was, "Again." I said, "Just like that, huh? No changes?" She said, "Nope. Just like that."

I'll call that a success. Now, to figure out what I'm going to put on her shrimp when I grill it.

Hot smoking Salmon is no easy feat. It sure looks to me like you pulled it off, and pulled it off nicely! And if the Mrs. is happy....Dood!!!

Thanks All!!!

Hot smoking Salmon is no easy feat. It sure looks to me like you pulled it off, and pulled it off nicely! And if the Mrs. is happy....Dood!!!

Chuck, while I was eating it, I thought about doing a "cold" smoke to give it more smokiness. I've gotten the ability to hold 140-150 pretty easily doing my bacon. Thought about doing that for several hours, then bumping the temp up to finish. Thoughts?

Thanks All!!! Chuck, while I was eating it, I thought about doing a "cold" smoke to give it more smokiness. I've gotten the ability to hold 140-150 pretty easily doing my bacon. Thought about doing that for several hours, then bumping the temp up to finish. Thoughts?
Geir is the master, sadly we don't see much of him these days. Here's his method. The main thing I learned was that cold smoked salmon requires a day or two in the fridge to let the bitter depart from the meat. Other than that, it's the cat's meow. I'm telling you though, your hot smoked salmon looked pretty dang good

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?56006-Cold-smoked-salmon

Geir is the master, sadly we don't see much of him these days. Here's his method. The main thing I learned was that cold smoked salmon requires a day or two in the fridge to let the bitter depart from the meat. Other than that, it's the cat's meow. I'm telling you though, your hot smoked salmon looked pretty dang good

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?56006-Cold-smoked-salmon

Thanks!! For both the compliment and the link!!! As I'm not a fan of sushi, that might not be something that I would like. However, the misses loves sushi, so she might just like it.

About 30 years ago I was out in Seattle and someone grilled a salmon that was marinated in brown sugar, bourbon and cooking oil. I can't begin to tell you how good that was grilled! The only thing that made it better was smoking it instead. Fantastic.
Nice job!

About 30 years ago I was out in Seattle and someone grilled a salmon that was marinated in brown sugar, bourbon and cooking oil. I can't begin to tell you how good that was grilled! The only thing that made it better was smoking it instead. Fantastic.
Nice job!
Oooooh!!! You just gave me a great idea for a tweak...add bourbon!!!!

That is a great recipe. I made it the other night according to Chris' instructions and would definitely do again. Was going to post a photo, but you have that ground well covered. Good pictures!

Back