Hatch.... natch - Chile Verde Burrito

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
It's that time of year & fresh Hatch New Mexico Chilis are in the stores again.
Picked up some "hot" to make chili verde burritos.

Got the rotisserie set up on the Genny. Loaded 2 pounds of the chilis into the roaster.

0fH8NS1.jpg

12 minutes later.

kVSNoMG.jpg

Skinned, stemmed, & chopped the chilis. Cubed 1 1/2 pounds of pork butt.
Got the other ingredients together (that's a tbs of Mex oregano & a tbs of sugar in the little bowl).

4RmJwUw.jpg

Browned & salted the pork.

nazmlzm.jpg

Pool Party... All Swim!

6NtwbrK.jpg

Let everything relax in the hot tub for half an hour.

Time To Eat!

BtSKgCl.jpg

Yum. This stuff is nuclear!!!

That looks very good!!! Question: How long were those Hatches? The only ones I've seen here looked to be 6" at least.

That looks very good!!! Question: How long were those Hatches? The only ones I've seen here looked to be 6" at least.

Yeah... about 6 ". The Hatch Hot & Hatch X-Hot are usually small. When I pick them at the store, I choose the smaller ones in the bin. They seem to pack the most heat. Hatch Mild are about the same size as an Anaheim. Usually the bins of chilis are next to each other in the store & I suspect folks mix them up a bit picking through them. In some ways, it's a bit of a crap shot when choosing.

Last edited:
Yeah... about 6 ". The Hatch Hot & Hatch X-Hot are usually small. When I pick them at the store, I choose the smaller ones in the bin. They seem to pack the most heat. Hatch Mild are about the same size as an Anaheim. Usually the bins of chilis are next to each other in the store & I suspect folks mix them up a bit picking through them. In some ways, it's a bit of a crap shot when choosing.

Thanks!! How hot are the hot ones? Jalapeno? Habanero? Or worse?

Thanks!! How hot are the hot ones? Jalapeno? Habanero? Or worse?

Probably as hot or a bit hotter than Jalapenos - much different flavor (although I'd never make a sauce out of 2 pounds of Jalapenos). Nowhere near as hot as a Habanero.
If you are concerned about them being too spicy, you could mix 1/2 Hot & 1/2 Mild & see how you like that. & next time, adjust as necessary.

Last edited:
Probably as hot or a bit hotter than Jalapenos - much different flavor (although I'd never make a sauce out of 2 pounds of Jalapenos). Nowhere near as hot as a Habanero.

Never had hatch chilies so that's good to know. Being in Arizona you would think being right next door to New Mexico they would be everywhere.... non to be found anywhere.

Beautiful cook Robert and wonderfully presented. "Skinned, stemmed, & chopped the chilis." That would have taken me an hour!

Hey Robert... I'm looking to place an order for some fresh Hatch Chiles. How hot are the Sandias? Looking at your comments above they are somewhere north of jalapenos, but way short of habaneros?? Not nuclear??

Last edited:
Last edited:
Rich - If you happen to be down in the valley for any reason, just hit a Food City and you're set ;)

I bought three lbs of hot and two lbs of mild, and mixed it all together. Definitely spicy, but with a great flavor.

Back