18.5 Runaway Temps

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Hey Ya'll,
I have an '05 18.5" WSM that has mostly always performed perfectly.
Lately I've been using it for overnight Butt cooks...
9 to 10 lb. Butt, full ring of Kingsford Original, around 10 briquets in the chimney starter, empty water pan, Hickory wood, Party-Q set on 250*, Maverick set to 225-275* and 200* to wake me up if necessary.
Getting a real good night's sleep...untill

We were preparing for another overnighter; my 9 y/o grandson always helps with these. I asked him to take the bottom section and empty it in the "ash repository". No problem.
He brings it back, and he has tapped it against the ground to loosen some stuck ash, and bent one of the 3 legs, kinda bad.
That's not really a problem, as I was able to bend it back with my hand. Had no problems at all assembling the WSM for the cook.
Once I settled back in my lawn chair to baby sit it till I was satisfied it was running steady, the temp almost rocketed up towards 300, then 350, then 375 as observed on the Party-Q.
Long story short, I couldn't get the temp down, so I closed all the vents and took the Butt inside and finished it in the oven.

Next cook, after I've checked for outta-round and loose stuff, SAME STORY. Can't control the temp.

I've read the "WSM runs too hot" topic under Tips and Mods.

I have to have enough fuel for 12 hours, so that means a full ring. I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to check on the water pan and refill it.
Any other thoughts?

Check the bottom vent closest to the leg which was bent. Might not be sealing.

Run a flashlight around each bottom vent (charcoal basket removed). Look for light around the outer circumference of the vents. Then check using the flashlight once again where the bottom and middle sections join.

Should see just a smidgen of light where the stop tab is located in the vent part which rotates.

Regards,
Craig H

Last edited:
Was your party q fan operating as temps ran up? After you closed all the vents did the temperature drop in a reasonable amount of time? If not, I would remove the leg that was bent and carefully inspect the lower body metal around the bolt holes for that leg. The metal around those holes got hit with a lot of stress and steel will crack. I'm interested in what you find.

A full water pan and a full load of coal and you shouldn't have to get up in the middle of the night to check it. I get a full nights sleep and I don't use a ATC.

Check the bottom vent closest to the leg which was bent. Might not be sealing.

Run a flashlight around each bottom vent (charcoal basket removed). Look for light around the outer circumference of the vents. Then check using the flashlight once again where the bottom and middle sections join.

Should see just a smidgen of light where the stop tab is located in the vent part which rotates.

Regards,
Craig H

Great idea Craig! I'll try that soon. :D

Was your party q fan operating as temps ran up? After you closed all the vents did the temperature drop in a reasonable amount of time? If not, I would remove the leg that was bent and carefully inspect the lower body metal around the bolt holes for that leg. The metal around those holes got hit with a lot of stress and steel will crack. I'm interested in what you find.

Hi Lew,
The fan was operating correctly, that is, it was not running while temps were above the set point.
After I closed the vents, I went in to put the Butt in the oven, and then went to bed, so don't know.
I'll check every screw and vent again, as well as the fit between the sections.
Thanks! :D

Hi Lew,
The fan was operating correctly, that is, it was not running while temps were above the set point.
After I closed the vents, I went in to put the Butt in the oven, and then went to bed, so don't know.
I'll check every screw and vent again, as well as the fit between the sections.
Thanks! :D
Which vents do you have open while using the PartyQ? The three bottom should be shut (except where the PartyQ is installed with the other two holes taped or plugged) and only the top opened.

Maybe I misread, but if the other vents were open, you would have massive airflow.

My first thought is along the lines of Craig and Lew. Check for further damage/deformation near the leg that was bent. I'd also suggest additional training for your helper. I can't imagine anything I'd describe as a "tap" resulting in the leg being badly deformed. A large swing with the WSM base starting over head, sure, but a "tap"?

My first thought is along the lines of Craig and Lew. Check for further damage/deformation near the leg that was bent. I'd also suggest additional training for your helper. I can't imagine anything I'd describe as a "tap" resulting in the leg being badly deformed. A large swing with the WSM base starting over head, sure, but a "tap"?

Hi JayHeyl! Bryan is a really great kid. I mean really great. We didn't talk about how it happened. Could be he just dropped it. He's been "re-trained". :D

Yeah Charles, the Grandson relationship is worth cultivating. I'll bet he was more upset than you were.

Since you've had 2 straight runaways have you considered a dry run and manually control the temp. Sacrilege I know but it only takes 2 to 3 hours and you can monitor temp drop after you shut it down Just a thought.

Yeah Charles, the Grandson relationship is worth cultivating. I'll bet he was more upset than you were.

Since you've had 2 straight runaways have you considered a dry run and manually control the temp. Sacrilege I know but it only takes 2 to 3 hours and you can monitor temp drop after you shut it down Just a thought.

Yes, I thought of that. Good idea. Thanks for the reminder.

Apologies for replying to myself. I have moderate confidence that my WSM is back in the game!!
I gave it a good cleaning on the inside Saturday, especially where the sections fit into one another.
Today, for Mother's Day, I smoked some Country Style Ribs, grilled some "Crack" Corn (that's how addictive it is), and baked some frozen Sweet Potatoes with a homemade dipping sauce.
The smoker performed perfectly over 5 hrs @ 225 - 240. The only thing I could complain about is the heat. It's already pretty hot here in West TN.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMfo1twFM7McLlJc76vPJQLZcnX88dTwxzBlT4

Back