Some Mighty Thick Pork Chops

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We were hungry for a nice thick pork chop for dinner Friday. Was looking for something around 2 inches thick. Had the butcher cut a couple of porterhouse, bone in chops. Sided things up with twice baked sweet potatoes and a couple of garlic artichokes on the grill.

Here's the chops.

enhance

enhance

I marinated these chops in water, coarse salt, apple cider, lemon zest, freshe sliced ginger and coarse black pepper for six hours. No photo. While the chops were in the marinade I got to work on my sides. Cooked 4 medium sweet potatoes for about an hour and a half.

enhance

Soaked a couple of artichokes in lemon water for around 2 hours.

enhance

Scooped out the taters.

enhance

Put the potato flesh, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and some butter into our food processor and ran until smooth. Put mixture in the potato shells.

enhance

Topped with a little more sugar mixed with some chopped pecans.

enhance

Trimmed up the artichokes and drizzled with oil and topped with a boatload of chopped garlic. Wrapped both in foil for later grilling.

enhance

Porky watched over the property and grilling area.

enhance

When done marinating, the chops went on the 14" WSM at 225. Did some experimenting with my camera settings and a couple came out a little washed out looking. Will try and fix that.

enhance

Good old Redding heat. It was 106 outside when I got the chops on and it took only 28 minutes for IT to reach 120.

enhance

Potatoes on.

enhance

Got the 120 degree chops on some high heat. Cooked to about 150.

enhance

Flip.

enhance

Gave the potatoes a few extra minutes as I'd had the lid off while the chops cooked.

enhance

Two minutes or so before pulling chops, i glazed them with a fruit and booze glaze consisting of apple cider, dark rum, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, allspice, cloves, red pepper flakes and butter. Reduced to half and strained. Plated 'er up after the glaze set.

enhance

Chops were moist and juicy.

enhance

enhance

The pork chops were wonderful. We ate it all. Sweet Potatoes were fun and would be an excellent side, particularly in a few months when it's not so hot and the holidays are upon us. Hope you all are having a great weekend. Thanks for looking.

That is an amazing cook. Can't believe all the prep you put into it. Beautiful plate & would love a bite of that pork.

Wow! That looks great and I just stole the sweet taters recipe. Chops look fantastic too. Got to hand it to you, me at 120 I would be in the air conditioned house with a cool one waiting for the pizza delivery guy.
Guess I shouldn't mention that it's a little after 1pm here and it's 82 outside, so I won't mention it.:cool:

Wow - that's a master class right there. The pecans on the sweets sounds great, and you can never go wrong with a bit of rum.

Those are some great looking chops!! Just the thickness that I like for grilling. I'm not a big sweet potato guy, but my wife is gonna love that idea!! Great cooking!!!

Cliff it all looks delicious. Love the sweet potatoes will be doing that in another month or so.

Back