Orange flakes inside after cook and letting WSM sit overnight

Barry_A

Cooked on 18in WSM for only second time yesterday, smoked a couple turkey breasts, using water in water bowl.. Cook went well, but a little late, so after breasts we're done, closed all vents, let all cool down and put cover over cooker, let sit overnight and cleaned up this morning. Rained a little overnight, dunno if anything got in, cover was dry this morning in part cause of tree cover. Inside lid and main body was an orange, rust colored substance that seemed to flake off as I moved stuff around. Lid had some condensation so I wiped that off and lightly wiped inside main body, let all sit while I cleaned out ashes and water. This typical or normal?

It's condensation from the hot air inside being cooled from the outside. Quite normal. One way to lessen (not eliminate) it is to take the lid off after the coals go out and wipe the inside with a paper towel. If you leave the lid on you can just I just wad up some newspaper and brush it around a few times to remove it and dump it into the trash can.

Thanks for the replies. I figured no way it's rust with the way the WSM is constructed, just was odd to me the way it flaked, but makes sense with the use of water in the pan. I'm going to be smoking bacon later this week and may give that a go without water in the bowl, may give the clay saucer in the bowl a try.

Back