St. Louis Mo. Connection

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Bob - You asked about my High School. Mehlville 1959. I left St. Louis in 1960 to attend the Naval Academy. After graduation I spent 25 years in the Navy but every year we visited family in St. Louis County. After retirement I worked in Albuquerque, NM for 7 years and then moved to Arnold in 1996 to take care of our widowed mothers. After their passing I fully retired and we moved to Deltona Fl. to be near most of our grandkids. We're planning a trip the end of September to visit brothers and sisters. It seems that I'm the only gypsy in the family.

Have you lived there most of your life?

How about you other St. Louis folks. What High School for you? It's a St. Louis thing ;)

Lew,
We moved here in 1961, when I was 14, from a town in SEMO, went all 4 years to Roosevelt HS.
My wife Jo (nee Wohlschlaeger) went to Mehlville HS.
Currently we live on the outskirts of beautiful downtown Arnold.
I'm a retired land surveyor.
Sister in OK, brother in AZ, son and daughter in CO, one son in this area.
5 grandchildren, another on the way, and a great grandchild on the way also.

If you lived here in 1996 maybe we passed by each other in Schnucks :)

Bob, I'm surprised by your wife's maiden name. Richard (Dickie) Wohlschlaeger was our class Valedictorian and a friend to me and Sara. They must be related. Jo may have known one of my brothers. The oldest graduated in 1970. All of my siblings live in or near St. Louis County. We liked Arnold but Grandma wanted to be near grandkids so here we are.

My sister and I moved there in 1948 (7 yrs. old). My parents had divorced and we had lived with our Grandma in Dixon. That's a little town SW of Rolla.

Sara and I have 7 grandchildren and 2 great grandsons. Two grandchildren live in CO. and the rest down here. Great grandkids are here and grandma is very happy with that.

Thought you might know Dick, or his younger brother Dan, that's why I mentioned Jo's maiden name.
He's her cousin, his mom was Jo's mom's sister, and his dad was a cousin to Jo's dad.
German lineage through and through.

Dick is a retired minister living in Pennsylvania, 3 kids, but not sure how many grands and great grands.
We last saw him and wife Kathy in December 2014 at our son's wedding.
I'll ask Jo when she gets home it she remembers a Newby from school.

Small world.

Really small world. Sara's 7 yr. older brother attended Roosevelt High for one year and then they moved to the county. I failed to mention that we have 3 kids. What year did Jo graduate from Mehlville?

Back