A different kind of Gas Regulator problem.

Stephen R

TVWBB Super Fan
About 12 months ago I gave a restored Summit Silver A LPG four burner to some relations who live some five hours drive away from us.

I dismantled it for transport and reassembled it when we arrived. Attached a gas bottle, got the the spray bottle of detergent/water to test for gas leaks, and turned the gas on.

Bubbles everywhere, even from the top of all the valve stems. So I took the manifold back home to swap it for another one.

When home I bench tested it- not a leak to be seen.

So this weekend was our first visit back to our relations. I reinstalled the manifold. Turned the gas on. Leaks everywhere again.

Then the penny dropped.

The gas regulator was not regulating- it was letting the gas through, full flow from the gas bottle.

I fitted another regulator-not a leak.

So previously I have had regulators block completely, or not let enough gas through, but this was different.

Never had that happen before and I've had my share of regulator problems. Thanks for sharing the information.

Stephen, I think you just gave me an idea on the bad regulator. I am doing a rebuild on a 1000 which was originally nat gas but had a propane setup when I bought it. It was like a blow torch so I assumed they might have just stuck a propane connection on it not changing the orifices nor the valves and that was the reason. So Jon a fellow member provided me a propane manifold and a few other parts so I could complete my build at a more than reasonable price. He said one of the valves was sticking so since I had lubed the valves on the other manifold I did the ones on the one Jon provided. I was able to compare the manifolds side by side, orifices were the same, took out the valve on the old manifold compared it to the new one they are identical. Hoping to get it put together today but I am starting to think the regulator on the old manifold was doing the same thing as you described not regulating anything.

Back