Prospective first time weber customer. Your advice needed on my choices please.

BryanL

TVWBB Member
I currently have a pit barrel cooker for smoking and a 20+ year old Thermos grill about the size of a large postage stamp. My grill is barely on life support which has prompted me to look for a replacement. I started looking up Best grills for 2017 online and the Weber spirit E310 got highest rank in several different cook offs. I've always known Weber was one of the highest quality made grill manufactures but had never been in a position to purchase one. I think Broil king out of canada and Napolean also had high scores in the recommended grills for this year.

Also mentioned as an upgrade option was the genesis e-310 and 330 as well as the Genesis II LX. I am considering a 3 burner and at max a 4 burner grill. From what i have read the Genesis/Genesis II is the sweet spot for weber. I am aware that a lot of longtime weber customers feel the quality level has dropped on the newer models the last several years. the 304 stainless issue comes up along with the China discussion.

upon finding this group i realize that many will buy an older Weber for the quality and then refurbish them so i started looking locally to see what ussed options i have. I also have a local retailer that is going to have a grill off and will pre-sell the grills that are going to be used for the cook off a $100 or so cheaper for being used. Below is what i have found as options.

Spirit E-310 for $130 (Five or six years old)

A red head that has been partially refurbished for $100 (Automatic starter not working but said the grill was usable)

The Genesis II E310 that is going to be used for the grill off. (Approx. $559-$599 with full warranty)

A 2016 Genesis S-330 in mint condition for $500 with no warranty due to buying it used per Weber.

A Genesis II LX E-340 at $1199 which i feel is pretty steep price-wise.

Which would you choose and why? Is the 2016 s-330 better quality than the new Genesis II models.

Which has the 304 stainless steel?

I see Weber also dropped the sear station on the Genesis II models, is that a problem?

Thanks for your help and if there is something i am over looking please chime in. Also i have a day to decide about the 2016 s-330 so time is of the essence. :)

Last edited:
Tough call. I would probably go:

1) The $130 spirit if condition is good and nothing needed.
2) Offer $350 to $400 for the 2016
3) Wait for different options

I spent time and money on two old Genesis 1000's, which are nice and all, but I found it took longer than expected, and I couldn't bring them up to where I wanted them to be.

I spent time and money on two old Genesis 1000's, which are nice and all, but I found it took longer than expected, and I couldn't bring them up to where I wanted them to be.[/QUOTE]

I am new to the old weber genesis series grill that uses two rows of FB. Still wonder if i should get the silver series with the 5 FB or invest in restoring the 13 FB grill. Do you mean it takes the genesis 1000 series longer to heat up and in your case it didn't get to your target temperature??

I have three genesis grills, a 13fb 1000, a 13fb 2000 and a E320 NG. They all cook very well the E320 is my go to gas grill, it's a little bigger and taller than the 1000 and 2000. Can't say anything about the newer geneses II except they look great. I restored both the 1000 (now a 2000) which I bought new in 1999 and the 1995 red head 1000 I just finished. Restoring a grill isn't difficult but can be a hard, long, dirty job.

One thing I've found is the older geneses grills are getting harder to find in decent shape and at some point parts will be harder to get. I also believe that the older genesis grills were built to last not so much like the newer ones.

The later grills such as the earlier E series grills might be a good choice if you want E/W burners or the later ones for the N/S burners as the quality still seems to be there.

Good luck with your choice.

I personally cannot justify the new Weber stuff. Chinese contract made product that is more than 3x as expensive as other stuff made the same way. As for 304SS forget it. You will not find any of it on any new products unless you go to true premium lines (unless on various bits and pieces).
If your heart is on a Weber I would go older (truly made in USA product). Starting with the advent of the 2010 (front burner control models) production pretty much went completely to China, and overall quality (IMO) went right along with it.
The older (side control) Genesis models are the best Genesis models that were ever made. Thick castings, solid performance and easy to control and maintain. Weber sold out to Black & Decker back around 2010 or so. All you need to do is look at what has happened to the tool names now being controlled by them (Craftsmen to name one now junkmen IMO). As for the current line up if I was actually forced to buy one I would avoid the Spirit line altogether. The basic Genesis line appears to be the sweet spot for the products (price/performance/features) over the LX models

I would look for a Genesis Silver B. They are great, simple grills that will last forever with a few internals replaced along the way. I redid a Genesis 1000 redhead for myself with the 8 flavorizer bars. But, IMO, unless you have $600+ to drop down, I would find a really good used Silver B or C for about $200 that is ready for steaks, or I would find one that needs a little TLC and cleaning for $50 or less and have at it. Make sure you get a three burner regardless. They are great simple grills that will last forever with a little care and maintenance and a lot of people are literally kicking them to the curb these days for the shiny stainless chinese junk...they will be sorry.

Tough call. I would probably go:

1) The $130 spirit if condition is good and nothing needed.
2) Offer $350 to $400 for the 2016
3) Wait for different options

I spent time and money on two old Genesis 1000's, which are nice and all, but I found it took longer than expected, and I couldn't bring them up to where I wanted them to be.

He hasn't shown any pics under the hood just said it was solid and working. I may have to go look. I tried getting the 2016 for lower and $500 is as low as they "said" they would go. thanks for the reply.

I would look for a Genesis Silver B. They are great, simple grills that will last forever with a few internals replaced along the way. I redid a Genesis 1000 redhead for myself with the 8 flavorizer bars. But, IMO, unless you have $600+ to drop down, I would find a really good used Silver B or C for about $200 that is ready for steaks, or I would find one that needs a little TLC and cleaning for $50 or less and have at it. Make sure you get a three burner regardless. They are great simple grills that will last forever with a little care and maintenance and a lot of people are literally kicking them to the curb these days for the shiny stainless chinese junk...they will be sorry.

I will have to research what a Silver b is. Is a redhead a silver B? Are you saying it costs $600 to refurbish a Red head or Silver B? Most of the used ones i am seeing for sale the owner is only calling them a weber and doesnt even know what year it was made. I plan on getting at least a 3 burner. I need to figure out all of the older model names. Thanks for the reply.

I personally cannot justify the new Weber stuff. Chinese contract made product that is more than 3x as expensive as other stuff made the same way. As for 304SS forget it. You will not find any of it on any new products unless you go to true premium lines (unless on various bits and pieces).
If your heart is on a Weber I would go older (truly made in USA product). Starting with the advent of the 2010 (front burner control models) production pretty much went completely to China, and overall quality (IMO) went right along with it.
The older (side control) Genesis models are the best Genesis models that were ever made. Thick castings, solid performance and easy to control and maintain. Weber sold out to Black & Decker back around 2010 or so. All you need to do is look at what has happened to the tool names now being controlled by them (Craftsmen to name one now junkmen IMO). As for the current line up if I was actually forced to buy one I would avoid the Spirit line altogether. The basic Genesis line appears to be the sweet spot for the products (price/performance/features) over the LX models

So i should shoot for a 2009 and earlier model genesis to get the quality i am looking for? I do remember seeing a grill with the control knobs on the right side but it was a spirit 310 that is 5 or six yrs old $120 :( which doesn't match the criteria above. Do the older models have side burners or searing stations or are they not needed on the older grills. Some reviews have complained about the newer Weber spirit and genesis line not getting hot enough as the competition.

If i would not go with a weber what would you recommend? (Make and Model and yr if relevant)

Thanks for your thoughts.

P.S. what do you think of this one? https://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-gas-grill/6219244652.html

Last edited:

I am new to the old weber genesis series grill that uses two rows of FB. Still wonder if i should get the silver series with the 5 FB or invest in restoring the 13 FB grill. Do you mean it takes the genesis 1000 series longer to heat up and in your case it didn't get to your target temperature??[/QUOTE]

what is FB?

Is this what you are referring to and what are your thoughts on this one?

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-gas-grill/6219244652.html

I am new to the old weber genesis series grill that uses two rows of FB. Still wonder if i should get the silver series with the 5 FB or invest in restoring the 13 FB grill. Do you mean it takes the genesis 1000 series longer to heat up and in your case it didn't get to your target temperature??

what is FB?[/QUOTE]

Bryan, I'm new and learning too, FB= flavorized bars

Silver B is the Genesis three burner. It was the base genesis line in the early 2000's. I am not sure of the specific years. THey also made Gold and Platinum versions as well. They are the same base grills but with more bells and whistles. Basically what I am saying is to find a Weber Genesis grill from about 10-18 years ago. Even if you replace the burners, flavorizer bars and cooking grates, it would be less than $150 and you would have a basically new grill. Just find one with a good frame, lid and cook box and start from there. For a grill that needs all the internals replaced, I wouldn't pay much if anything. I find reasonably working grills for free to $50. If all the internals are in good to great shape and it works good, expect to pay more. But unless it is completely cleaned out and everything is in good shape and good working condition, I would never pay more than $75-$100. They are out there and you just have to wait and be patient.

Here is a photo of a Genesis Silver B. Look for the gray handle that says "SILVER" on it. Most will have these Thermoset shelves. Look for a grill very similar to this. Weber made and sold tons of them 10-15 years ago and a lot of people are just now getting around to replacing them. The green hood is kind of a novelty. Most came in black, but they made others and they are less common. That makes them a little more desirable. Red are really popular. This grill was manufactured in 2000. You can see where the SILVER is marked on the handle. I paid $25 for this grill.

brKdzH7.jpg

is this a good deal? https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/for/6225756861.html

Bryan: It is hard to say for sure on either of those grills. They are both great looking candidates, but without seeing the condition of the burners, flavorizer bars and cooking grates, it is tough to tell. How "Clean" are they. The exteriors look good to great, but if the internals are in rough shape and it needs a lot of cleaning, then, no, not so good deal. Many times you can find fully functioning grills for almost nothing and all they really need is a good cleaning. Even with new flavorizer bars, you would still be down well under $100

Here is a picture of a Gold B I purchased for $75. It needed some work and some replacement parts.
gbRt1g4.jpg

Here it is when it was finished. The neighbor was throwing away an old redhead in bad shape, but the lid was still good. I ended up spending about $350 total on this grill, including the cover, but I feel it was money well spent. The grill is built like a beast and reaches 600 degrees in 5 minutes. This is a 2002 model and I'm pretty sure it's going to last me a long time, especially because the Performer does most of the cooking.
hKjUrQB.jpg

Bryant, the silver B is basically a remodeled Genesis 1000. I've had both at the same time my 1999 1000 and a 2002 Silver B. They both cook well the silver b is a 5 bar and my 1000 was a 13 bar. The real only difference was the silver was a little more prone to flare up, with the 13FB's and the deeper box kept the flare ups to few and far between on the 1000.

A lot of folks like the early genesis grills because of the slates on the shelves which they replace with stained wood which makes a truly beautiful grill vs. the thermoset shelves. They also have a little more of the classic look. Cooking wise really not a whole lot of difference, there still a whole lot better for a third of the price compared to the Chinese junk there selling today.

Get a 1000 or a silver clean it up, put good quality SS FBs, a good SS grate, same with the burners and 20 years from know you'll still be cooking on it.

I am new to the old weber genesis series grill that uses two rows of FB. Still wonder if i should get the silver series with the 5 FB or invest in restoring the 13 FB grill. Do you mean it takes the genesis 1000 series longer to heat up and in your case it didn't get to your target temperature??[/QUOTE]

No, sorry. I mean appearance. To fully restore a 1000, with custom wood, replacement parts, RCPlaner bars/grates etc, and have it look really good, I think it costs more than you expect (RCPlaner bars and grates run about $200, and all the Weber spares soon add up). And to make it truly mint, I think you have to be pretty handy and have some space and tools etc. Sure a $10 grinder with a $5 wire wheel, $10 on paint and some simple green will do a lot, but the best ones seem to take more than a Saturday morning or two. When I started, I saw these $350 Genesis grills that cost the owners about $1000 3-5 years ago, and were lightly used and being sold due to a move or similar. I felt that was high, but if it's $300 to restore a 1000, and it takes 10-20 hours, then $350 for a covered and lightly used 2010 Genesis is actually pretty cheap.

1) How much money are you willing to spend?
2) How much time are you willing to spend?
3) Do you have space/tools and some ability with your hands to do a restore?
4) How pretty do you want the grill to look?

I know people who've got $85 Genesis Gold A's and done nothing to them, who are super happy. They don't care that it looks like the 15 year old grill that it is, as the food tastes the same. I also see people who do beautiful stained wood slats and complete restorations to better than new, and who enjoy that.

Here is a picture of a Gold B I purchased for $75. It needed some work and some replacement parts.
gbRt1g4.jpg

Here it is when it was finished. The neighbor was throwing away an old redhead in bad shape, but the lid was still good. I ended up spending about $350 total on this grill, including the cover, but I feel it was money well spent. The grill is built like a beast and reaches 600 degrees in 5 minutes. This is a 2002 model and I'm pretty sure it's going to last me a long time, especially because the Performer does most of the cooking.
hKjUrQB.jpg

That is just gorgeous. thanks for sharing.

Ok i went and saw the grill and it looks in good shape aside from the electronic starter not working. I am going to try to post some pics. He put $150 into it painting the black part of the box and adding new knobs ant the two tiny front wheels. He did add one piece of metal to the frame. All of the stainless steel FB look in good working order without rust. There was a little bit of rust on the burners but not anything that would need replaced right now. He lowered the price to $90 and will deliver it for me today. im going to try to figure out how to post some pics.

Last edited:

Back