New 18.5 WSM Owner observations

CraigH in La Pine

TVWBB Member
A new 18.5" WSM followed me home shortly after Christmas of 2016. Thought I'd post several observations of this smoker. Hope it helps other new owners or want-to-be's.

The must have item to be added is the hinge kit. You need it, maybe just don't know it yet. Just tilt the lid open & don't have to search for a place to set a dripping lid. Which brings us to what comes first; gasket kit or the hinge kit? If the gasket kit is on your list install it first, before the first charcoal is lit. Clean the surfaces where the gasket material is to be applied with soapy water and remove any oils/grease. Then apply the gasket material. Gasket material thickness will affect how the hinge kit seals! If the hinge kit is installed first, then the gasket, you will have leaks. More drilling & blasting will be required for a better fit. Where oh where to place the hinge; I placed mine opposite of the door opening. Be sure there is room for the hinge and there are plenty of videos on the web.

The door: It can be tweaked by hand for a better fit. With a gasket, plan on bending the door handle tab which is inside the smoker. Use caution.

That bi-metal thermometer: Well documented as to its accuracy or lack there of. The issue is placement in relation to temperature variations inside the smoker. With just the natural draft; bottom vents (cracked) controlling air in & the top vent open, temps vary bottom to top of the smoker. With no stoker, a slight open adjustment on the air inlets one will first see a drop in temperature. This is more cold air entering the smoker and its takes maybe 15 to 20 minutes for the charcoal to do its thing and increase the temps. Don't chase the temperature adjustment, give enough time to see the result make its way to the thermometer.

Add a digital thermometer: Yes is the short answer. The pit temperature probe can be placed close to the meat and the meat probe inside today's meal. That low & slow temp of 225 degrees is easier to maintain. Not advertising here, I added a Maverick ET732. The RF method of connection between the transmitter & receiver does well thru the entire house. There are Wi-Fi models but here in the sticks an unattended fire is not recommended. Added bonus is the temps between the bi-metal and digital are closer, less variation between the two when the temps stabilize.

A temperature controller (stoker): Cons, it could cost more than the smoker. Pros,Talk about set it & forget it, this is a nice item and makes a perfect BBQ easy. There is a new kid on the block; variable speed fans with PID control. Going down this path is worth the $$$ even it will be on the next Christmas list! What ever your choice, if going this route, the observations of temperature was enlightening. With the stoker puffing in just the correct amount of air, temps held steady. The big surprise was the temp readout of the stoker, the ET732, and the bi-metal thingy were within a few degrees of each other! At least in my WSM the temps from top grate to bi-metal thermometer were very close. (Haven't use the bottom cooking grate, yet)

Water Pan: To foil or not to foil that is the question. It does make a difference, foil just the bottom, foil just the top (inside), or both. If you want more moisture for the cook, don't foil the bottom. You will hear the water boiling, sort of a deep rumble. You be the judge.

Charcoal: Kingsford blue bag seems to be the right stuff. I believe most will go that route. Could be my imagination but I taste pine. In my neck of the woods, Kingsford is produced on the west side of the Cascades Mountains. Springfield, OR is the city; Marcola Rd is the location. Trees here are Douglas Fir, Cedar, Hemlock, Lodge Pole Pine, Jack Pine, Ponderosa Pine, etc. Lump charcoal is the main fuel now used with your choice of hardwood for smoke. A few Kingsford briquettes are started in a chimney starter and dumped onto the lump charcoal. I tried lump charcoal in the chimney started, but too many sparks flew out. Bad thing in wildfire areas.

At the end of the day, the low & slow is done, just close all vents and the charcoal will extinguish. In an hour or two the water pan and grills can be removed for cleaning, close the lid. Next day there is little chance of the charcoal to be burning. Open the lid and let the smoker dry. This should keep mold from forming.

Wishing you happy smoking,
Craig H

Last edited:
I personally believe that there is very little that is cast in stone when it comes to BBQ and our personal smoker. My go to mod was handles on the center body and charcoal grate.
My 18.5 was pretty tight and never needed gaskets. When I got my 18.5 WSM in 2011 I didn't hear about a hinge kit and I think they didn't appear until the 22.5 had been out a while . I'm 75 and not the strongest guy but I don't like the idea of shifting the center of gravity that far to the side. It's the engineer in me so I go without the hinge. Different strokes for different folks. .I use and love the Maverick ET-732 but our host uses the lid thermometer and he does pretty good. Just a different philosophy. I started using water but decided I didn't like dealing with greasy water so I foiled the water pan. My cooker still holds 225 just fine. I do not recommend an ATC for new owners and I still do manual cooks to maintain my familiarity. ATCs can fail and you need to shift to manual mode to salvage the cook. I like my ATC and as I get older and slower it saves me a lot of steps.

y

Back