Brisket & Burnt Ends Overnighter on the 26er

Pat G

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have been wanting to try smoking a brisket on the 26er so I planned on an overnighter.

8# packer.

I trimmed it and put some table salt on it, then put it in the fridge for 24 hours. Before I threw it on I added 50/50 s&p.

Snake method, KBB with post oak for smoke.

It went on around 7:30PM.

Settling in.

The 26er was holding about 235 through the night. This is at 3:30 in the morning. Guess what, the snake was getting to the end, I quickly added to the very end where the charcoal had not burned yet and basically put down another complete snake.

Here we are at 12 hours. Internal was 165.

This is after 14 hours. I really didn't want to use the crutch, but I had somewhere to be in a few hours. I separated the flat from the point and foiled the flat.

Continued.......

I cut up the point and added some Rufus Teague and #5. Back onto the 26er it went.

Here is the flat. After I foiled it I brought it up to 198, it wasn't probing like butter, but it was tender. I threw it in the cooler with towels for 2 hours before slicing. It was not as moist as I would have liked, but full of flavor.

Now for the burnt ends, these came out fantastic, made the whole process worth it.

It was a fun endeavor, so glad I made the burnt ends. As Chris mentioned in another post, better BBQ through repetition, I need to cook more brisket. I'm thinking about building a snake with 3x3 instead of 2x2 and trying it high heat next time.

Thanks for looking.:cool:

Last edited:
It was a fun endeavor, so glad I made the burnt ends. As Chris mentioned in another post, better BBQ through repetition, I need to cook more brisket. I'm thinking about building a snake with 3x3 instead of 2x2 and trying it high heat next time
That is probably the most impressive cook I've seen here. Not so much that the Brisket looks great (it does look amazing) but that you did that in a kettle. Most impressive Pat!!!

You nailed it Pat. Terrific looking brisket with primo smoke ring and bark. Very aggressive doing the burnt ends too. i usually wrap and freeze the point and do them another day. You had some delicious "meat candy" to go along with that very delicious looking flat. Nice cook!

Awesome job on that brisket!!! Great price too! Briskets in my area run average $50-60 bucks for a whole packer! Nice smoke ring and burnt end :).

Way to go, Pat! Now be honest...how many of those point chunks were requisitioned for quality control before they went back on the grill?;)

Great cook Pat the brisket looks excellent along with the burnt ends. Takes a brave man to do an overnighter on a kettle but you did it, nice job,

You truly are a TVWBB Wizard!! You've gotta know your kettle really well in order to do that kind of cook on it!!! Great job!

Great post and a great cook. Damn, I want a 26"er. I bought all my Webers except the JJ and Genesis off craigslist, but a 26 just isn't showing up. God, I hate paying retail!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Great post and a great cook. Damn, I want a 26"er. I bought all my Webers except the JJ and Genesis off craigslist, but a 26 just isn't showing up. God, I hate paying retail!

Lew, they are hard to come by for sure. I'm like you, the only Weber I bought for retail was my Performer, that was my first Weber. I got lucky and found the 26er NIB from a local auction company. The guy told me they buy cargo trailers full of different stuff at auction. I was able to get it at $175. If you do find a used one hopefully the grate is in good shape, those are $99.

Great job, Pat!

I am getting close to doing my own brisket, but I'll probably do mine in the WSM.

Looks delicious!

Pat that looks fantastic. Brisket had a great smoke ring and the burnt ends to die for. Awesome job for sure.

Pat, everything looks beyond amazing. You have definitely raised the bar for all of us. I do have a question, you reference increasing your snake from 2X2 to 3x3, aren't you afraid that it will really increase your cook temp? Thank you.

Back