Kettle Jerk Chicken

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This is another cook that usually ends up on the gasser, but not tonight. Genny you're on the bench, Kettle your up:

F46E605C-9AD1-4E29-BAB8-F297D6468CFB_zpsfzuycaeo.jpg

4CA8179D-C1DE-4243-84AD-4E12BE6B4EE2_zpspvuweexj.jpg

782AD972-CA1A-4441-9678-DF2A9B18E137_zpsskwaacht.jpg

1BE15140-F08B-49BE-A5E7-AEEE0B787394_zpson72b6wg.jpg

I know Walker's Wood is all the rage, but don't over look Island Spice. Very good Jerk seasoning!

707DD0BF-8080-4005-A75E-2AEF24E8B6BA_zps3ohqsxu4.jpg

Great looking chicken! Do you have to order Island Spice, or is it available in stores?
Thanks,

Tim

Do you have to order Island Spice, or is it available in stores?
I brought that back with me from Jamaica last year. I haven't seen it in any stores here in kalifornia, but I did see it in a meat market in Florida a couple months back. I'm going to order some soon, as I only have enough for a couple more cooks of about this size. Good stuff (imho)

DSCF0113_zpsdfafwjvu.jpg

Last edited:
Chuck;
That chicken looks to be perfectly cooked. I just may have to do some jerked chicken, myself. I have never seen Island Spice but use Walkerswood for my jerk chicken. I'll keep an eye out for Island Spice.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Now that is some mighty fine looking chicken! Excellent cook Chuck. Chicken looks perfectly cooked and very nicely presented too.

Last edited:
Jerk chicken is the bomb & yours hit it's target! Beautifully cooked, too.

What's up with that Red Stripe? :p

That chicken is cooked perfectly. How much heat is in the spice you use? The last time I tried jerk chicken the heat level was off the charts. The wife asked me not to make it again. I'm not that good of a listener though.

How much heat is in the spice you use?
My bride hates hot spice too. She love this stuff, it's not too hot at all, but it dose have some zing to it. It's very good. I've also got the Walker's Wood mild and the spicy, and the mild blows my doors off. I like it, but my son and I are the only ones in our house that does. The girls hate Walker's Wood, because it's too hot for them

I can taste the allspice from here!

Chuck, with the fire in the center like that how often did you rotate the pieces and was it 90 degrees at a time?

Chuck, with the fire in the center like that how often did you rotate the pieces and was it 90 degrees at a time?
I flipped them (90 degrees) a couple time before doing the sear. When the chicken hit about 150 degrees, I would move them a couple at a time directly over the charcoal for about a half minute or so, flip them (90 degrees) for another half minute, then move them back to the outside, doing the same with the other pieces. I probably did that maybe 4 or 5 times until I got 160+ internal, when I then pulled them off. "Reverse Sear" is what I believe it is commonly called here

Back