World's best brats?

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
That's what they think they make at Trig's Smokehouse!

For quite a few years I've seen Trig's billboards as I've gone to and returned from northern Wisconsin, and this year I decided to check out the Trig's supermarket on 17th Avenue in Wausau. Right away you know they're all about the brats!

TrigsBrats20170730_1.jpg

Says so right on the package, too!

TrigsBrats20170730_2.jpg

So far, so good. The grind looked a little finer than Johnsonville (a reference many people can relate to).

TrigsBrats20170730_3.jpg

Mmmm...

TrigsBrats20170730_4.jpg

The quintessential Wisconsin summer hot plate! (That's not ketchup, that's Secret Stadium Sauce.)

TrigsBrats20170730_5.jpg

These were some extremely good brats, with more black pepper flavor and heat than I think I've ever tasted in a sausage. Definitely unique and definitely worth buying again!

Six Brats per pack. I quite often have to grill six and with Johnsonville, I always have to buy and extra pack to get my six. They look and sound delicious Brad.

Thanks, Cliff...and the package quantity caught my eye right away, too! Apparently Trig's isn't part of the conspiracy between the sausage makers and the bun bakers...;)

Brad-

Good looking brats! There are so many good ones out there, hard to choose the World's Best! :) I actually prefer a finer grind on my brats or even an emulsion (which isn't traditional.....but tasty!)

Six Brats per pack. I quite often have to grill six and with Johnsonville, I always have to buy and extra pack to get my six. They look and sound delicious Brad.

....exactly what some smart marketing person was thinking you would do when they decided to put four in a pack! ;)

R

Those look so good! Thanks for the post. It's always interesting to read comments about butchers, sausage makers & restaurants.

Thanks, everybody!

Cincinnati is also known for their brats and we really like some custom brats from a butcher shop in north Cincinnati.
Robert, I'm going to be in Lebanon next week and might have some time to get to Cincinnati, so could you please tell me the name of the shop? A small cooler and some ice should be fine for getting them back home. Thanks!

Rusty, it's pretty unlikely you'll ever find Trig's in North Carolina, although I've seen some of their cured sausage products in St. Louis of all places!

Oops. Forgot to congratulate you on your sausages, Brad.

I think I misunderstood the title of the thread.

They Do Look GREAT, Brad!
Thank you for posting this... another Wisconsin Brat I need to get and eat.
and I love the 6 pack!

They look sooo good, I just ordered a dozen!
Thanks again, Brad!

Last edited:
The P1G is open for that! Absolutely!

Jim, thanks for the link to the thread, I need to get some things done around here today, I'll read it later...
Sounds Awesome!
(however, think I did look thru this once before, but reading all eleven pages might prove worthwhile!)

Yeah Jim,

I read through that thread earlier this summer. It was a lot to read and was good to reminisce. It was 8 years ago, but seems much more recent. If no one else does it first, we'll do it again in 2019 for a 10 year anniversary of the original event.

Jim

Trig's does have really good brats, they spent a ton of money building a factory in Rhienlander (sp) for sausage and smoked meats, then took the time to develop the recipies. It worked! Be sure to try the State Street red brat and the polish sausage too. Good stuff!

I've always liked bratwurst. After reading some of the links I can see that Wisconsinites (is that a word ?) REALLY like bratwurst. If I ever find myself in that neck of the woods, I know what I'm cooking. :D

Back