Mold buildup on WSM 22

Ken Lindner

All,
I have a 22 WSM which I love, but between uses I notice a mold buildup inside the bottom and middle sections, what's the best way to prevent this?

Thanks,
Ken

Leave the vents open after smoking, maybe even the lid off (this is of course, after the coals have been smothered/are dead). Don't cover it with the weber cover (IMO) but leave it someplace out of the weather.

In the interim, get a good hot blaze going for an hour or two to "cook" it out then you could use some kind of grease cleaner/brush. THere are lots of threads about cleaning mould. Try the search here (good luck with that though).

I personally have no experience with cleaning mould out of it. Others will chime in soon.

St. Louis humidity is as bad as central Florida. I grew up in St. Louis. After I had a mold buildup I started removing the access door, all vents full open and the lid ajar. The lid is probably overkill but I don't get mold anymore.

I had that after my last use. Burned it out (gave a smaller load of charcoal, let it run vents full open until the coals burned out), then cleaned the moldy spots with a scrub brush and water. Let the pieces dry.

It gets worse if rain gets in and you forget to empty it... I turn the mid section upside down so rain doesn't run down the sides and collect in the bottom, open one or more bottom vents and the top vent, put water pan over the top vent...solves 98.3% of mold build up,....:cool:

If you keep it covered and don't use it often, then on nice clear days, you need to take the cover off, remove the lid and probably the door too and let it air out every now and then.

I once didn't use one of my Performers for a month or so and noticed it started to get a little mold....now I try to remove the covers on all my grills whenever I'm outside doing yardwork or playing with the kids.

I rinse mine out with super hot water with a pump up sprayer after every use and let it set....when not in use I cover with a lawn trash bag then the weber cover plus crack one of the bottom vents open....no water gets inside....once in a while I will build a fire in it empty ... I use to carry it back to the garage for many years but finally got tired of doing that, I will replace the weber cover when the sun takes a toll on it

Back