Blower quit

Greg Fountaine

TVWBB Member
I was in the middle of a run and the blower just stopped on me. Anyone have this happen before? I plugged another fan in and it worked fine. Any tips on debugging them?
Are the standard blowers ok to leave outside? It was somewhat protected from the elements,...this is not an RD3 setup, it was a SS pet bowl with an aluminum foil "umbrella" covering/protecting it :D

Make sure the connections at the fan end (under the sticker, soldered connections) haven't come loose.

if that's all good, Try powering it with a 9v battery. If it doesn't run, it's destined for the rubbish bin.

Last edited:
Oh this is too funny. The fan blades got hot enough to start deforming/melting. And I know why - At one point the door fell off and I was watching the webpage and saw the temps spike up - I ran outside and the fire was going nuts and smoke was bellowing out of my 18" WSM like crazy. It went nuclear for about 5min, ran up to a lid temp of 450F. It was about 20% of the blades that distorted. I broke off the blades that were interfering with the housing which is why it stopped spinning. It makes an interesting sound now, sort of like a toy chain saw :D

Back