Had a great experience on my first cook on the 22 WSM

DubfromGA

TVWBB Fan
Had the day off yesterday with no plans to do much but hang out at the house. Figured I'd get some grub cooked for the workweek.

Last week I picked up a Weber Smokey Mountain 22" smoker and did a test run on it to get familiar with it and burn off the stuff inside it.

Should give me really easy portability when that's a need.

Rubbed a butt in John Setzler's pork rub recipe and put it on first.

Added a chuck roast next. It was drenched in Paymaster's steak rub and added some basil & Italian seasoning, too.

Son said that I should have added more carrots to the last chuck roast....so I obliged this time. He was right !

I'd drained off the excess wet rub before piling the vegetables in there and poured it on top of the works. That rub really transfers some excellent flavor to everything in the pan.

A couple hours later a pair of trimmed up spares went into the WSM.

I ran the little JumboJoe 18" with a few coals on one side only and cooked some corn and baking potatoes.

The potatoes were cooked and smashed up with some various ingredients for my version of mashed potatoes.

This Garlic Spread one great tasting ingredient that I tried for the first time. Also used a small amount of 'Bama White Sauce.

Ran rock steady the entire cook. This thing may truly be a set it and forget it type of smoker that will allow for overnight brisket with good sleep.

Had a recommendation about this from a buddy....figured I'd give it a try.

Cooked it with Vidalias and butter for a while before dumping some collards & beer in there, too.

The ribs had two rubs on them....a base rub of Lambert's Sweet Swine O' Mine with a light dusting of John's rub on top.

The chuck roast was really good using Paymaster's steak rub as the main seasoning.

The butt was nice and tender...smoke flavor wasn't what I was hoping, but I only used a few chunks of cherry wood. I'm going to play around with some other methods next weekend. Used Kingsford Professional charcoal...didn't know how strong of a flavor it'd impart. Turns out it's more mild than the regular blue bagged stuff.

Pic taken before I hit it with a proper vinegar finishing sauce....

Bark pieces really tasted great. John's pork rub is mighty good.

Ribs had some tangy homebrew sauce brushed on.

Second run on the WSM was last night.

I used a loaded pellet tube below the charcoal grate.

You can see it smoking away as I loaded my firebox with Kingsford Pro, pellets and cherry chunks. I dumped hot coals on top and then assembled the WSM on top.

Did a homebrew rub for the semi-trimmed fatty side...

Used my favorite brisket rub for the meaty side.

Put it to bed and it was purring like a kitten.

Checked on it this morning and all was well.....still purring.

Brisket is through the stall and at 188 degrees.

This little table is proving to be handy when set up next to the WSM.

Has some cutouts to lock in the little 18" Jumbo Joe.

Went ahead and dumped a load of coals from the starter and let 'em run for a few hours as we got caught up on Game of Thrones and then threw some burgers on three hours later.

Not a fan of this brisket. Been sitting in the fridge most of the afternoon.

Bark is good.

Juicy and tender.

Smoke flavor is lacking.

Next time I cook on the WSM I'm leaving the water out of the pan and see how it does.

Home from work tonight and found son famished.

I figured we'd need to eat some of this sammich-grade brisket......in sammiches.

Warmed up enough for three sammiches.

Did a batch of home fries for him.

Two eggs made ready....one for my brisket sammich....was hoping he'd try one, but he declined. Shame, because it's a game changer for certain.

His pair...

My solo....

First two cooks with the WSM did well.

Going to fire it up again for another run on some shoulder butts & ribs in a few hours.

Awesome posts. All that food looks great. I have a14.5 and think I'm going to pick up a 22 also. The 14.5 is great for small items but I like the idea of being able to load up the 22. Thanks for posting.

Awesome posts. All that food looks great. I have a14.5 and think I'm going to pick up a 22 also. The 14.5 is great for small items but I like the idea of being able to load up the 22. Thanks for posting.

Thanks.

Was wondering if my pics/posts weren't coming through. Complete lack of interest was having me wonder if the posts were even showing up. This site is mighty slow.

Appreciated your comments.

Cooked two pork shoulders and 4 slabs of ribs on the KJ BJ this afternoon.

Since the KJ was tied up....was time to fire up the Jumbo Joe for some burgers.

Wife chose the Hickory as here sauce.....she's been consistent with this choice, too.

Hickory, Mustard and Tangy versions made. Son & I generally go for the Tangy.

Homemade sauces look great too. I like that weber table. Never knew the legs locked in like that. I might check it out for my jumbo Joe. Your posts and pics are great. Truthfully I don't spend too much time in the WSM threads because I don't cook on mine too much due to time constraints so I usually just check out the kettle area. Surprised you haven't gotten more feedback. BTW, I've spent some time in GA. Been there for a total of about 8 years in the Savannah area.

Great lookin' grub, Dub! I don't wander into this section too much, but glad I did. We love pictures here, and many folks look at the Photo Gallery section more often, so you'll probably get more looks if you post up your cooks there.

You are certainly running your new WSM through its paces, and by the looks of it, the two of you are going to get along great! :)

Cheers,
R

My, you are a productive guy with the new WSM! Not one thing I saw would I pass on! Strong work. I need to use mine more, 5 smokes since May? Not enough!!

My, you are a productive guy with the new WSM! Not one thing I saw would I pass on! Strong work. I need to use mine more, 5 smokes since May? Not enough!!

Thank you.

I've sorta neglected it lately.

I want to do some beef jerky in it but need to get dialed on a solid method that will run ultra low.

I love to see people doing the whole meal in a single cooker. I try to get my protein, veggie, and side in to my 14.

Dub: That looks like a lot of really good smoking sessions.

One thing I do with leftover brisket, if it's not fall apart tender, is to reheat it on the grill. The texture of the tender meat with a grill crunch on top is like _INSERT SOMETHING HERE_!

Back