Roti basket wings

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
My first time using a basket on the roitsserie..Wings were just OK could have been more crispy.. Temps were running near 400 for some time should have made wings crisper.
I had to take the lid off to lower the temps, but once the lid went back on temps rose again.
Dan
Fire getting started

On the rotisserie
Bz3JUYBm.jpg

Done
FyTXPgKm.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
1)Show off your smoked/grilled masterpiece pics in Photo Gallery (not in Barbecuing or Grilling).
2)With imgur, easiest way I found was when the pic is loaded, open the pic (while you are still in imgur) "open in new window". Trying to wait/find their sharing link drives me batty.
3)Then copy THAT url and paste in your thread.

Hi I was just looking to get some feedback bout the wings not being crispy and the temps being out of control high.
Thanks Dan
PS got the pics in Thanks

Last edited:
My guess is the temp was too high to let some fat render out and the wings were done too fast.
I use a roti basket on a kettle grill with char-baskets of lit coals on the sides.
Here's your pic:
edit, I see you have it showing now too.

FyTXPgK.jpg

Last edited:
Hi I was just looking to get some feedback bout the wings not being crispy and the temps being out of control high. Thanks Dan PS got the pics in Thanks
Hi Dan, I'm assuming you didn't have the diffuser (bowl) in? With wings, you have to have a two zone cook, and that's difficult to do in a high-heat WSM cook. You would need to put the charcoal outside the ring (as the roto is centered in the WSM) making sure you don't block the vents. You would then put several fully lit charcoals in several spots of your charcoal, let them do their magic for a few minutes and then bring in your roto to cook your wings. You may need to add (fully lit) charcoal during the cook as it takes about an hour or so to cook wings. It is much easier to do wings in a kettle than a WSM. You can do roasted wings in a WSM (search "fire roasted wings") and you'll see how I did it. Note: Cooks that exceed 500 degrees like my fire roasted wings are very hard on your WSM.

I'd have ate those wings you cooked and been happy

I'd have to agree with ChuckO that wings need a 2-zone cook. I do them on a kettle with one basket of charcoal (and some pecan) on either side at around 300 (lid temp). You can easily fit about 3.5 lbs. of wings down the middle. After about 30 minutes, baste with 50/50 butter and Frank's hot sauce and start crisping them up directly over the baskets. Takes a few minutes to cycle them through. They will never get deep fryer crisp, but close. You will also eat them too fast to notice the crisp factor. Steve Raichlen has a good marinade recipe here: http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/buffa-que-wings/

Jeff

Len, so if I want to show off a Q cook, for example I should post it in Photo Gallery??
Exactly. All of the great cooks on WSM do that. I just love to look at the pics and get new ideas :) for future smokes. You can see what the end product (PLUS the wonderful sides they prepare) is supposed to look like so you can emulate their style ;)

Basically, the Gallery is to show off :)

The bbq and grilling forums are usually used for questions about methods, techniques, etc. AND there is also a separate forum where you can ask for recipes and such.

Last edited:
Hi All What are the differences between a tumble basket and a flat one?
Thanks Dan

Hi Dan, I'm assuming you didn't have the diffuser (bowl) in? With wings, you have to have a two zone cook, and that's difficult to do in a high-heat WSM cook. You would need to put the charcoal outside the ring (as the roto is centered in the WSM) making sure you don't block the vents. You would then put several fully lit charcoals in several spots of your charcoal, let them do their magic for a few minutes and then bring in your roto to cook your wings. You may need to add (fully lit) charcoal during the cook as it takes about an hour or so to cook wings. It is much easier to do wings in a kettle than a WSM. You can do roasted wings in a WSM (search "fire roasted wings") and you'll see how I did it. Note: Cooks that exceed 500 degrees like my fire roasted wings are very hard on your WSM.

I'd have ate those wings you cooked and been happy

Hi So I need to go a snake method or indirect?
Thanks Dan

Hi So I need to go a snake method or indirect? Thanks Dan
You are somewhat at a disadvantage when using a roto with the WSM and wanting to do a zone cook. My friend has a roto ring for his WSM and that's where I came up with putting charcoal outside the ring. You could call it a snake, but a snake is laid down with care, so that you can do a slow burn. I just pour the charcoal into the outside ring (shaking the ring to get the charcoal to fill any gaps) and then I put many (at least a dozen) fully lit charcoals in various spots around the ring to get a high heat cook. So, yeah you could call it a snake, but it's not a traditional snake as it's a high heat and snakes are usually not

Back