Jerk Pork with Grilled corn, Rice & Peas

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Jerk Pork with Grilled Corn, Rice & Peas

I've been desirous of some jerk of late & decided to satisfy my craving.

Deboned a 4 lb pork butt & butterflied it. Then pounded it with a rolling pin until it was about 1 1/2" thick. Scored half inch deep cuts across the grain alternately on both sides of the roast. Massaged Walkerswood (hot & spicy) into the cuts then heavily coated the rest of it. Marinated covered for 7 hours in the fridge.

Soaked 4 packages of Laurel leaves & 2 packages of whole allspice for 1 1/2 hours. Drained them well just before the cook.
Built a medium hot fire out of Mexican lump (300-350*). Made a bed of the bay leaves & whole allspice just large enough for the butt & 2 freeloaders (chicken thighs) opposite the coals. Bedded the pork fat cap up & the thighs bone side down. Added leaves & allspice berries above the fire for smoke.

8oCDXag.jpg

Kept adding laurel leaves & the allspice every 20 minutes or so to keep things nice & smokey. Smelled great.

The freeloaders hit 180* internal temp, crusted them & saved for a lunch.

2iRfLB8.jpg

Pulled the pork at 195* internal temp.

39pZ0iN.jpg

While it was resting, grilled some corn.

0oIpnLb.jpg

Chopped the meat.

W2krZ8D.jpg

Served with grape tomatoes, rice & peas. Sorry for the blurry plate pic.

M96puta.jpg

This has to be the best jerk I've ever cooked.
The smoke & marinade totally infused the meat & the searing heat of the Scotch Bonnets was quite mellowed.

Oh.... I didn't forget the Red Stripe - just wasn't pictured.

fwiw - loosely based hybrid cook referencing Steven Raichlen's "Planet Barbeque" & a Serious Eats recipe.

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/real-jamaican-jerk-pork/

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/jerk-chicken.html

Last edited:
All I can say is you nailed that one. Fantastic cook and the plate pic tells the story. Outstanding.

Looks tasty! bought a bulk bag of bay leafs the other day. Wife thought I was going mad. She's obviously never cooked jerk!

Wooo Hooo, you know how to cook Robert! I can only imagine what your grilling area smelled like. Must have been a terrific heat with Scotch Bonnets. Really an outstanding looking cook Robert. Hats off to you!

That Walkerswood is good stuff, and if you used the spicy, you're tough. Heck the mild is pretty powerful stuff Your pulled jerk pork looks amazing, nicely done. I couldn't gag down a Red Stripe if you paid me. I was in Jamaica about this time last year when I had my first & last Red Stripe. I was sitting outside, had just bought a six pack. There was a cop sitting on the bench next to me. He was looking at my beers, so I offered him one, and he took and we toasted and had a beer. It was awful, I gave him the four unopened beers, and I tossed what was left in the can I was drinking. That was the first and last Red Stripe I'll ever have :)

I don't think I've ever cooked anything that has been jerked, and it's very possible I've never even eaten anything prepared this way. Your dinner looks great, Robert, so maybe I need to break down and acquire some Walkerswood to see for myself.

R

Robert, you sure do have a knack for creating great recipes. I learn something every time I visit your threads.

Oh man, does that look good!! Nice cooking, good sir. Oh, and I too love the hot and spicy Walkerswood!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Walkerswood is good stuff, and if you used the spicy, you're tough. Heck the mild is pretty powerful stuff Your pulled jerk pork looks amazing, nicely done. I couldn't gag down a Red Stripe if you paid me. I was in Jamaica about this time last year when I had my first & last Red Stripe. I was sitting outside, had just bought a six pack. There was a cop sitting on the bench next to me. He was looking at my beers, so I offered him one, and he took and we toasted and had a beer. It was awful, I gave him the four unopened beers, and I tossed what was left in the can I was drinking. That was the first and last Red Stripe I'll ever have :)

Chuck, tell us how you really feel about Red Stripe. :p

I don't usually care for lagers, but the Red Stripe wasn't bad ice cold.

Back