Can I totally disable the beeping alarm?

DeclanFleming

Hi - sorry if this is a simple answer. I've scoured the forum and can't find an answer.

I want to smoke over night, and have the Heatermeter email/SMS and wake me if it gets too hot or cold. This is all working just fine. What I don't want is for the on-board beeping alarm to go off at all and disturb my neighbors. There is a "Silence" pull down on the alarm setting line, and this does stop the beeping from going on indefinitely, but there IS still an initial loud beep as the alarm fires. I'd like it to make no noise at all.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any help!
Declan

No, both the disabled and silence are handled on the Pi side. The HeaterMeter always turns on the beeper when the alarm fires so there's always a small amount of sound before the Pi can turn off the sound. I can put it on the TODO but everyone knows I hate adding more options to an already overwhelming dense multi-page configuration so it's not going to happen soon. You could just desolder the piezo buzzer if you never want it to beep, or add a "silent mode" switch inline with it.

I've always hated beeping devices, so I've never installed the piezo buzzer in any of the HMs I built

Thanks so much! I'm still learning a lot about the device, so it's good to know what's possible and not.

I think I'll just muffle the short beep it makes somehow. It's still pretty useful when I'm cooking during the day.

D

I removed the beeper, because I too dislike beeping devices, and use PitDroid for all my audible alarms.

Back