Using enhanced ribs in competition BBQ

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
At a recent BBQ competition, a little birdie told me that more teams here in California are injected their pork ribs and that some teams are turning to enhanced (pre-injected) pork ribs and winning with them.

I was surprised to hear that enhanced ribs are being used. True? Not looking for team names, just interested to know if true. Same thing in other parts of the US of A?

I would say a lot of teams are using them. I think the only Smithfield ribs that are not enhanced are the Prime Reserves you can get at Sams.

True. The Extra Tender is the enhanced variety.
One of those winning teams has 7 GCs this year and just hit 30 GC career !

Last edited:
The Seaboard ribs at Restaurant Depot are not enhanced. Same for Costco ribs. I know some teams here in California are using both of these. It's just weird because I and many others have been railing against the trend toward enhanced meats for 14 years and now come to find out that I'm probably judging them at many BBQ competitions!

Scott... Only those "enhanced" ribs and butts enhanced by the manufacture are approved. But things such as teriyaki enhancement (by the manufacture / butcher/ etc) is not approved.

Back