Great American Eclipse 2017

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Curious about your plans for the eclipse on August 21.
Do you live in the path of totality, or plan to travel to be in it?
Any special cooks or events planned?

We live in its path, glasses have been purchased :cool:
We will have about 2 minutes of totality.
I'm still trying to figure out something theme related to cook, maybe two filet mignons, one for the moon, the other for the sun. :rolleyes:
Better suggestions are welcome.

We've had some pretty clear nights and have been enjoying the Meteor show. Hope to see the Eclipse next week

We're not in the direct path here so we won't get to much to see and there is a 70% chance of rain that day so probably be overcast anyways.

We'll be partial here Bob, .89. I'm guessing you'll do something in the way of pictures. I had considered it but read that without a special filter for your camera, it could be damaged. Backed off of photos. Do you have a filter for your Pentax? Haven't planned a cook yet.

We will get 95%+ here at home. I could drive to my sister-in-law's house to see the total eclipse but I probably won't. I'm putting together a simple projection gadget with two lenses, so if I decide I want photos I'll just take shots of the image on the projection screen. No cooking plans.

Many schools will be starting here this week and some will be closed the 21st.
Mobs of people are expected all along the path, with traffic jams anticipated once it's over.
A multitude of eclipse events are planned all over the StL area, and other areas I'm sure.

No filters for my cameras, hope to set one up for time lapse photos of the surroundings, maybe grab a shot when it's total.

My daughter and I are driving 200 miles north to Nebraska to stand and stare for 2 minutes at the glorious heavens. Once in a lifetime awesomeness! No time for grilling, only a sack lunch. There may be a secret flask floating around, ya never know.

The last time I saw a solar eclipse, it must have been about 20 years ago, and I viewed it with a pair of #5 cutting glasses coupled with a #10 shade plasma cutting helmet. What are the recommendations now? Something like a #20 shade?

It should get fairly dark here, as Phil put it, but I haven't planned any customized cooks just yet. Maybe some burnt franks will fit the bill? :p

The last time I saw a solar eclipse, it must have been about 20 years ago, and I viewed it with a pair of #5 cutting glasses coupled with a #10 shade plasma cutting helmet. What are the recommendations now? Something like a #20 shade?

According to published info, experts recommend at least #14 shade welding glasses, or a combination of shades equal to that number to safely view an eclipse. The long range forecast is calling for clouds and rain (around here) however.

Speaking of the eclipse, this year's event is drawing so much publicity, it almost feels like Super Bowl week of sorts. In years past, no one thought much about it except for dedicated sky watchers.

I am in Northern Illinois, with no travel plans, but will celebrate with "Eclipse Burgers" that are two beef burgers with "the sun" also known as a slice of cheddar,
between them.

Not trying to sound off topic, but traffic reports are predicting a traffic jam on I-77 between Statesville, NC and Columbia, SC. That's over one hundred miles in length. Unreal.

There are eclipse glasses available all over the place for a buck or two, I've had ours for over a month.
Crowds and traffic jams? Heck yes! For most people it's a once in a lifetime event.
Up to a million visitors are expected to come to Missouri.

For the full effect you have to be within the path. Even if your area is say 90% it will not be a big deal.
To me it's more about the surroundings than the eclipse itself.
Near darkness in the middle of the day, stars and planets visible (if it's not cloudy).
Birds going to roost, frogs and night creatures sounding off, temperature drop, odd shadows and light.
Maybe it's over-hyped, I'll let you know after Monday.

Rusty, luckily, I'm off next Monday. Don't have to deal with all that BS while trying to earn a living!
But one of my coworkers does Columbia, SC on Mondays. I'm giving him a pair of glasses for next Monday and told him to be careful! Pretty sure it's gonna get extra stupid Monday!!

In what other state does the turndown service leave beer, cheese, and sausage instead of a mint on your pillow?;)

We have our share of scary motels, too. Like the 2 right down the street from my workplace...I suspect they have a lot in common with the Stratford Inn you see on EB 44 approaching 270. According to one of my MO coworkers it specializes in prostitutes and heroin.:eek:

Rusty, luckily, I'm off next Monday. Don't have to deal with all that BS while trying to earn a living!
But one of my coworkers does Columbia, SC on Mondays. I'm giving him a pair of glasses for next Monday and told him to be careful! Pretty sure it's gonna get extra stupid Monday!!

No doubt!

I can imagine I-85 will be murder as well.

Back