Need Gas

Matt Antonen

Going from over 10 yrs on the original weber charcoal, but need to go to gas due to new house. What weber gas grill is the best for charcoal purists...

Hi Matt, and welcome!

I think Weber Genesis II is the sweet spot for most people. The Genesis II E-310 for a three-burner grill or better yet the E-410 for a four-burner grill. If you want stainless steel hood and additional perks, then it's the Genesis II LX S-340 or S-440.

If you've got a fat wallet, then I'd go with the Summit S-420 or S-470 that adds dedicated sear burners and a smoker burner.

There are other gassers larger and smaller in the line-up, but I think these are most popular and as I say hit the sweet spot in terms of what most people need in terms of grill size and performance. I like a four burner grill and would go with that, if you can swing it.

Another option, if you're looking for a DIY project and you're a handy guy with lots of tools, is to buy a used vintage Weber gas grill and restore it. Lots of guys here on the forum are buying old Weber Genesis 1000 series grills and turning them into beautiful refurbs. They're very solid grills that just need some TLC, cleaning, and replacement parts, but they're built tougher than most of today's grills. You'll see lots of examples and get lots of help from friendly members in the Weber Gas Grills forum.

Maybe others will have differing opinions...we'll see. Perhaps the "best for charcoal purists" will throw people for a loop, as no Weber gas grill will replicate the charcoal experience, but all produce very good grilled foods and you can always add a smoke wood foil packet or smoke box for additional smoke flavor.

Hey Matt, Best of luck on your quest for a gas grill. As Steve said, no gas grill will grill as a charcoal one but I sure hope you can find something suitable.

I've found that adding a Smoker Box across the flavorizer bars (if your new Gasser does not have a built-in one) can add a kiss of smokiness - particularly for those longer cooks.
[Park it near the end where the flame is relatively low]

Back