Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable smoker for the winter - possible?

Portable smoker for the winter - possible?

So it happens that every year we hit the mountains with 5-6 friends for a couple of days to stay there, ski/snowboard and chill out in the evenings. From this latter activity, I heavily miss cooking in my Weber kettle.. but the Mastertouch ain't exactly portable and we can only approach that little house on the hill via ski chairlifts..

Thinking about this situation I think running a small smoker could be a better choice when it comes to feeding around 6 people with a smaller device. The question is, what cooker could be ideal for this purpose: being small, very portable, capable of cooking for around 6 and suitable for cooking outside at winter.

Is there maybe something like the Pit Barrel Cooker, just smaller? Or can one maybe smoke in a Jumbo Joe? Any other options which you'd suggest? Or is that idea completely crazy and we'd just better forget about it? What do you think?

I'd think about a 14" WSM, the small one. Very portable and could easily feed your group.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...KE67V2/tvwb-20
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

TVWBB Platinum Member Phil Perrin's Avatar
    That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Or the Smokey Joe mini mod, as seen here-https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?7...ni-WSM-Project
    Lagers and pilsners and ales, oh my!

Yea what Cliff and Phil said.
    I think a Jumbo joe or a mini WSM (or both IMO) would suit a group of 6.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Hmmn, now that you say, getting a 14" WSM is really tempting, I could definitely use it at home too complementing my kettle

How does that thing get packed up though? I would need to carry it somehow in some kind of backpack for our trips, and I'm not sure how dirty it'll get everything around..

Can it be packed up in a compact form once disassembled? Maybe you have a picture of it taking up minimal place?

Ok, looking at the pictures there's probably no point disassembling it for travel, looks like it won't take up less space at all. Judging just by looking at it though, it could possibly fit into a larger backpack as is.. right?

TVWBB Platinum Member Phil Perrin's Avatar
    Kristof, yeah, they don't shrink much for travel! I have an 18", and built a crate to take it to away family reunions. The only thing I do to pack it is to flip the lid into the body of the WSM. It saves a few inches, uh, centimeters!
    Lagers and pilsners and ales, oh my!

TVWBB Olympian
    Maybe a few trips on the lift to carry the parts would do ? The scenery can't be that bad.

Yeah.. or we could possibly make the best shots in our lifetime with the smoker sitting beside us in the chairlift (probably in a nice winter hat) or standing between my legs on the snowboard on the slopes - this whole idea is too tempting to let it go easily

Shrinkwrap the little guy together and carry it by the handle.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast