N00B Question

DMorgan

TVWBB Member
I've loved grilling for decades now and my pursuits (and tastes) have wandered to more traditional BBQ and I have a pellet smoker but I know that isn't kosher for competitions; so my question is, what's standard equipment and procedures?

Is there some place on the web with a guide?

FWIW I'm looking fir a Weber kettle to learn charcoal/wood BBQ.

Pellet smokers are approved for most competitions. As long as the heat is actually being generated by the pellets, ie wood fired. The initial spark/ glow plug ignition is ok.

If you're looking at charcoal BBQ cooking, I highly suggest a Weber WSM. Either the 18" or the 22.5".

ADDED : There's a contest next month in Boise. If you attend, you should be able to make some great contacts with teams in your area !

http://www.rocknbrewsandbbq.com/

I see that Bowling Over Pigs and Got Smoke BBQ are cooking this competition. Both are from out of state, but Excellent people to talk to. Chuck (Bowling Over Pigs) is a California team. Will (Got Smoke BBQ) is a Utah team.

Of course, there is the KCBS (Kansas City BBQ Society). Website is at https://www.kcbs.us/
Their rules and regulations are on their site.
You can also check for any BBQ events. Excellent search engine on the Events page.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. I saw thr ad for this on CL, they were looking for volunteers to pour beer.

Wifey said I couldn't, she said it was to SERVE not consume....can you figure that?

I've loved grilling for decades now and my pursuits (and tastes) have wandered to more traditional BBQ and I have a pellet smoker but I know that isn't kosher for competitions; so my question is, what's standard equipment and procedures?

Is there some place on the web with a guide?

FWIW I'm looking fir a Weber kettle to learn charcoal/wood BBQ.

We competed in our first competition last weekend using my 18" WSM (ribs and sausage), my buddy's Weber Performer (chicken), and my buddy's Pit Barrel Cooker (pork and brisket). It was my first experience with the Pit Barrel Cooker and I was impressed. It cooks a little hotter at it's lower temps than the WSM but it did a nice job on the pork and brisket.

Back