Door/ gaskets mod question

Mr. Craig C

Hi, new member here. Apologies in advance if this has already been answered 1000 times but here goes:
I just received a 22" smoky mountain and it's fantastic aside from the door. It just isn't close to sealing, despite any amount of massaging and bending it's still got lots of air gaps... it's thin and flimsy.
So I'm thinking to order the Cajun bandit door. Does it require a seal kit as well for satisfactory results? Or is the seal kit mostly intended for floppy OEM doors? Thanks Craig

I use the original door with a gasket added. If you opt to stay with the original I recommend you add the gasket to the door and not the smoker. It looks better that way.

I got the Cajun bandit door and still had to add a gasket to it. Also, if your going add a gasket to seal the lid and install a hinge, do the gasket first, then the hinge.

You should be able to "bend" it pretty close to shape, just got to stick with it.
Trick is to bend it a little more then flush, and let the camming action of the latch close it tight.
Even then it will probably leak a little, less the more you use it, and frankly the leaks don't harm a thing.
Unless you LIKE playing with new parts...:)

Back