Grilling at altitude?

Geoff W

I've had a 22" Weber kettle for many, many years, and recently bought a Jumbo Joe to take camping with me last weekend. I live at sea level, we were camping at Sequoia National Park around 6,500 ft elevation. Brand new bag of the regular Kingsford charcoal, just like I use at home, so I have a pretty good idea of its cooking characteristics. I noticed it took a lot longer for the charcoal to light, I had to add a lot more charcoal to cook, and the coals went out really, really fast when I closed top and bottom vents. Are there any good rules of thumb to figure out how to compensate for charcoal grilling at higher elevations?

The Jumbo Joe is fantastic for camping. Best food we've ever had out in nature, and like everyone says, the Jumbo Joe is a great grill

Geoff,

Welcome to the group !

While we don't take a grill or smoker with us when camping, we do cook with a dutch oven & briquets. Haven't noticed any big difference. Will also be interested in others input.

PS While we will not make it out there this year, our 'normal' camping spot is south of yours in the Sequoia National Forest. Up on the Kern Plateau at 7400'. Forest Routes rule ! ;)

Last edited:
We live at 5500 feet and there is a difference in the thinner air. It does take longer for the coals to get hot and they do burn a little cooler. Other than that not much different from when we lived at sea level. but being up another 1000 feet might make a bigger difference.

While we don't take a grill or smoker with us when camping, we do cook with a dutch oven & briquets. Haven't noticed any big difference. Will also be interested in others input.

PS While we will not make it out there this year, our 'normal' camping spot is south of yours in the Sequoia National Forest. Up on the Kern Plateau at 7400'. Forest Routes rule ! ;)
My wife absolutely loved having the Jumbo Joe. Best eating we've ever had while camping. Small enough to easily take, big enough to cook everything. I dumped the coals in our fire pit after dinner and we also had an instant campfire!

We live at 5500 feet and there is a difference in the thinner air. It does take longer for the coals to get hot and they do burn a little cooler. Other than that not much different from when we lived at sea level. but being up another 1000 feet might make a bigger difference.
Any feel for how coals at 5500 ft compare to coals at sea level? It seemed like it took about twice as much coal to get the same cooking for burgers and chicken. The first night we arrived late, so I just started the coals and grilled burgers for everyone. Took longer so they were a little dry. Second night I did chicken, doubled the coal I'd normally use and dinner came out awesome. Hotdogs for lunch before that, but it's hard to mess up grilling hot dogs. But when I closed the lid, the coals must have gone out pretty quick because there wasn't much ash and it looked like lots more coals left than I get at home with my 22" kettle

Air density decreases with altitude and since air is 21% oxygen the Oxygen available to your fire decreases. I think you have about 20% less Oxygen available at 6000 ft. elevation. The charcoal takes longer to catch because it doesn't burn as hot as at sea level.

Like Lew said and even you said it takes more coals to get the heat you need compared to sea level because of the lower oxygen at higher altitudes. Like you said also the fire goes out really fast when you shut the vents because their not burning as hot as they do at sea level.

Back