The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoked Chicken.

TVWBB Super Fan

Smoked Chicken.

I made a curry-lemon smoked chicken on Sunday.

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/y88uZ/layout/grid

Ignition was much better this time. It did take 31 mins between the 3rd and 4th pics, which seems longer than people said it would in another thread. But the quality of the fire was much better than my last few times.

I used the paper donut on the bottom of the chimney, and put the chimney on the charcoal grate.

Just as I was starting the cook, I realized the probes on the Flame Boss weren't working anymore. Neither the pit nor the meat. They sent me new ones and I got the replacements yesterday.

I ended up using another meat thermometer that I had.

After I configured the unlit charcoal in the charcoal grate and put lump charcoal and wood on top, I then put the lit charcoal on.

I used 2 pieces of applewood and 3 pieces of Sharpe Hickory.

After two hours, I used a spray bottle to spray the chicken with lemon juice.

It took 4 hours, 13 minutes for the breast to reach 155 degrees. Normally I wait until 165, but I felt it had cooked long enough.

I didn't taste much smoke the first day. On Day 2 and Day 3, I tasted it more.

How can I get more smoke flavor?

Should I refill the wood at a certain point?

Sometimes when you are the one cooking with your smoker you can't taste the smoke as much on the day that you are doing the smoke.
    A lot of the time I can taste more of the smoke flavor on the 2nd and 3rd day as well.

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    What Bob said

From your description, I would say you should cut back to no more than 3. That's what I use (3) for 6 racks of ribs. I would have used 1 small piece of each with that bird. Kinda nice to taste the chicken, not the wood

Like the guy that puts 6 teaspoons of sugar in his coffee--> would you like some coffee with your sugar?
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    What Bob said

From your description, I would say you should cut back to no more than 3. That's what I use (3) for 6 racks of ribs. I would have used 1 small piece of each with that bird. Kinda nice to taste the chicken, not the wood

Like the guy that puts 6 teaspoons of sugar in his coffee--> would you like some coffee with your sugar?
    Lol, ok.

At least good to know that the 2nd and 3rd day flavor was a consistent behavior.

It sure looks smokey good by your pics ( I have some of those vertical roasters also) Bob and Len are both on it, and every once in awhile I notice a lack of smoke flavor but nobody else does.
    Most people wouldn't use Hickory on chicken, apple yes but a strong wood like hickory prolly not.
    Like you I like a strong smoke flavor and Hickory is great on poultry, ( I love it on turkeys) but I really like adding Alder from the east coast also.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arun L. View Post

How can I get more smoke flavor?

Should I refill the wood at a certain point?
    A1: short answer--add more wood. ...but be careful. IMO Chicken can soak up smoke and you can get the "ashtray" effect. There is a point of diminishing returns. Apple is mild but the hickory should give you more of a smoke flavor.

A2: if you'd like more smoke flavor you certainly could. See A1 above for caution statement.

Also, you may want to wrap your temp probe leads loosely in foil as an insulator otherwise you'll keep burning them up. YMMV

...and throw away your stopwatch. This is BBQ. Relax.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Pannell View Post
    A1: short answer--add more wood. ...but be careful. IMO Chicken can soak up smoke and you can get the "ashtray" effect. There is a point of diminishing returns. Apple is mild but the hickory should give you more of a smoke flavor.

A2: if you'd like more smoke flavor you certainly could. See A1 above for caution statement.

Also, you may want to wrap your temp probe leads loosely in foil as an insulator otherwise you'll keep burning them up. YMMV

...and throw away your stopwatch. This is BBQ. Relax.
    Haha, I just like to note how long things take, so I can get a reasonable idea for the next time.

Plus with the Flame Boss charting the temperature over the cook, I can look at it and see about how long it took.

Yes, I wrapped the probes this time.

TVWBB Super Fan
    If I wanted to add more wood, about when should I do it? Is there a certain hour or temperature mark?

I'd just try one piece, not more than that.

Also, what would be the effect if I smoked it longer (whether I added more wood or not)? This time I stopped it @ 155 degrees, but what would the affect have been if I kept it going for another 30 mins or longer?

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arun L. View Post
    If I wanted to add more wood, about when should I do it? Is there a certain hour or temperature mark?

I'd just try one piece, not more than that.

Also, what would be the effect if I smoked it longer (whether I added more wood or not)? This time I stopped it @ 155 degrees, but what would the affect have been if I kept it going for another 30 mins or longer?
    A1: I usually don't add more smoke wood so can't help there. I prefer a subtle kiss of smoke playing a supporting role vs the smoke dominating the taste. You and the folks you cook for may be different. Cook for yourself and those around you. If they like it you'll be asked to cook more.

A2: If you kept going it would cook more. 30 min wouldn't hurt but much more and I believe it'll begin to dry out.

Remember: this is cooking an agricultural product outside on open flame. Just because it takes 15.452 minutes to fire up the cooker, 1.3546 hours to cook a chicken to 162.25*F today, does not mean the time will be the same tomorrow or a week from tomorrow. Wind, temp, humidity, tender vs onery chicken, how it was prepared, etc will all play a part. Put your bird on, Ck back in a little while, adjust if necessary, and Ck back a little later.

I had to learn also: Relax. This is not meant to be stressful. It'll be done in a little while. Should take about an hour and a half give or take.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Pannell View Post
    A1: I usually don't add more smoke wood so can't help there. I prefer a subtle kiss of smoke playing a supporting role vs the smoke dominating the taste. You and the folks you cook for may be different. Cook for yourself and those around you. If they like it you'll be asked to cook more.

A2: If you kept going it would cook more. 30 min wouldn't hurt but much more and I believe it'll begin to dry out.

Remember: this is cooking an agricultural product outside on open flame. Just because it takes 15.452 minutes to fire up the cooker, 1.3546 hours to cook a chicken to 162.25*F today, does not mean the time will be the same tomorrow or a week from tomorrow. Wind, temp, humidity, tender vs onery chicken, how it was prepared, etc will all play a part. Put your bird on, Ck back in a little while, adjust if necessary, and Ck back a little later.

I had to learn also: Relax. This is not meant to be stressful. It'll be done in a little while. Should take about an hour and a half give or take.

Thanks.

So far, I've cooked it for a little 4 hours. I was wondering what would happen if I did it for 5 or 6 hours. But as you said, you think it would begin to dry out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast