Craigslist Q200 Find

PeterL

TVWBB Member
So having restored two Weber gassers in the last few weeks (1100 Redhead, Platinum II 3400) I decided to look for a portable grill. We just got back from a weeks vacation and it occurred to me as we were out on the dunes in Cape Cod in our SUV, how nice it would be to grill on the beach.

My brother-in-law has a Weber Q and has raved about it for years. I surfed Craigslist and found a Q200 about 40 minutes away. The seller was asking $100 for the grill alone. The picture appeared to show a Q in decent shape. I inquired if there was any wiggle room on price. He lowered his asking price to $80. I had wanted to see/pickup the grill the following morning, but the seller indicated he would be going away for a few days to Connecticut. I happen to live 5 minutes from the main crossroads in Massachusetts to get to CT. Me made arrangements to meet on his way through that night.

He texted me before leaving that he had found in his basement the original cart and "a hose" that came with the grill. I was getting excited. The hose is $25 and the cart cannot be found (except for some bozo on Ebay selling one for $270). We met and I bought it for $80 without any testing or inspection. I loaded it into my SUV and left it there till this morning.

I spent about 1 1/2 hours cleaning everything. Burner needed a good cleaning, but everything cleaned up nicely. I hooked up the 20lb tank, and crickets. It turns out I had to turn the gas on really slowly from the tank, wait, then it lit and burned like a champ. I seasoned the grates with shortening and let it burn for about 25 minutes.

I am super thrilled and cannot wait to cook on it. Funny thing is, today is my 49th birthday. What a great gift to myself!!!

Here is a before:

And a couple after:

If you are concerned about the strength of the tables to carry weight, just get some dowels and run them from the rear legs to the front corner of the tables.

Great find Peter! I love my Q-200. It has plenty of room to cook for 4-6 people, and is great for camping, tailgating, or just about anything else! I've raved about mine so much, a friend had me find him one on CL as well. Picked it up for $50, and it still looked like brand new!! For my needs, you just can't beat the Q-200!!
Tim

You will enjoy your "new" Q. I picked up a used 220 and it resides in our Safari Trek rv. I've mentioned before, that I also carry a Joe silver, but with what I have picked up on tips for different cooking techniques on the Q, it gets the majority of use when we are rving. Happy cooking!!!

The Q grills are great simple grills and the portability factor is a great bonus. You cant find a better camping or tailgating grill.

Back