Weber Genesis Gold worth buying?

Eric K

Does this Weber Genesis Gold look like a good buy at $185?
https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/hsh/d/weber-gas-grill/6252797718.html

"Three (3) Burner Gas Grill is in good functional condition and looks decent yet. Gas Burners have recently been replaced along with new grease drip holder and new temperature gage. Flavor Bars in good condition. Comes with 2 Gas tanks. New Grill like this sells for $800."

I've done some looking and the best I can figure out is this is a Genesis Gold B (2005)
I've read a number of rebuild threads and figured out what to look for and noticed on the pictures there is some rust starting on the grill cross support.
I emailed and asked for pictures of the bottom cabinet and he said the "bottom pan got wet a couple of times over the years and is rusted out".
Our family is growing and I'd like to step up from the hand me down Walmart grills.
Is it worth an hour drive each way at $185?

Ep9VC2S.jpg

PTi0bsJ.jpg

Elkc5gc.jpg

2gj7jzM.jpg

OvMKYhx.jpg

Last edited:
Erik,

Please find another photo hosting option other than photobucket as it no longer allows you to embed images on third party websites, unless you pay $400. Or, you could do what I did by using the Craigslist ad image URLs themselves. Regarding that rusted area:

00T0T_clFTCZJkgHV_1200x900.jpg

I'm willing to bet that there is significant rust on the cross support already. If it is... that looks more like a $50 grill (at least that's about the most I'd pay). It is possible to cut out the rotted section and replace with a suitable replacement. How comfortable are you with some fabricating work to replace the cross support and the bottom panel? Honestly, I would keep looking for a better specimen.

How about this Gold C for $100 instead? https://siouxcity.craigslist.org/app/d/weber-genesis-gold-grill/6213991707.html

That one may be closer to its actual value even if it has rust in places. Both grills should have the original stainless grates and flavorizer bars, and they were both pretty nice grills back in the day.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice JKim.
I'm not opposed to cutting the grill apart and making new supports but I don't want to get into something like this if it's not worth that much.

Erik,

Please find another photo hosting option other than photobucket as it no longer allows you to embed images on third party websites, unless you pay $400. Or, you could do what I did by using the Craigslist ad image URLs themselves. Regarding that rusted area:

I'm willing to bet that there is significant rust on the cross support already. If it is... that looks more like a $50 grill (at least that's about the most I'd pay). It is possible to cut out the rotted section and replace with a suitable replacement. How comfortable are you with some fabricating work to replace the cross support and the bottom panel? Honestly, I would keep looking for a better specimen.

How about this Gold C for $100 instead?

That one may be closer to its actual value even if it has rust in places. Both grills should have the original stainless grates and flavorizer bars, and they were both pretty nice grills back in the day.

I've seen those at 180 in near perfect condition. I've seen that with a side burner. I wouldn't pay 180 for that one.

Yeah it's a $50 to $60 grill at best. Bottom cabinet does not rust out by getting wet a couple times either LOL

I google ''free forum picture hosting'', and it gives me some sites that you can put images up on for linking to forums. Works fine, but long-term I don't know if they'' stop working. I click ''never expire'' or something, but who knows.

Now $180 ... even with two bottles ... Unless you're a regular welder who has some off cuts sitting around and could repair it in an hour or so, I really think it's more of a $50-75 grill with two bottles, so maybe you pay $100. I have a Genesis 1100 with a mostly rusted out side member, and it was a waste of two hours trying to weld it up. For $30 I got a donor grill with a frame with virtually no rust. The $30 for the donor grill gives me a good frame + a complete grill of spares (I'm selling all the spares as a beater grill next week ... hopefully), so I may even get more than $30 back for it.

A friend does have a Gold similar to this one, and he does love it, but he paid $85 (it's a NG one) in SoCal and has spent $0 on it in the three years he's been using it. He just cleaned it up and started using it, he didn't do a restore. So $180 and then you have to spend some hours rebuilding, just doesn't seem good value to me.

Just picked up mine for 20 bucks last week,down from the 85 asking,because the guy wanted to sell and i didnt want NG.off to find a manifold

Back