Need help with new ash catcher

ScottD IN

I have been a Weber ONLY enthusiast for over 35 years. Only BBQ grill I have ever owned. Grill 3-4 times a week except in the dead of winter (Indiana).

Bought their new Master Touch in May. Read many reviews online confirming WEBER was the still the best.

But HOUSTON, I have a problem.....Specifically, you have to squeeze really HARD on 2 metal rods that comprise the new "handle" to release the ash catcher. Honestly, my hand hurts at the mere effort required.

BTW: I am a 61 year male that works out with weights 2-3 times a week. Play racket sports, golf, etc. And my son, age 27, has the same complaint. (This is just like squeezing one of those hand-held spring loaded devices to pump up ones forearms/wrists. Only instead of a nice thick handle, Weber gives us 2 pieces of metal about a 1/4" thick to grab onto and SQUEEZE.)

Their "old" style ash dump had a similar metal handle; but it simply/easily turned or rotated to be released. That was what I thought I was getting again . . .

I spoke to the Weber phone customer service about this issue after struggling a couple of times trying to empty the ash catcher. They indicated a few women had complained. As a hopeful remedy, they sent a new piece/part. Just opened it today. Sadly - Same problem. Same handle. Same effort/pain to squeeze together bare metal.

Called them back today to ask if this is "pilot error" on my part. In other words, what am I possibly doing wrong? Her answer was "Nothing"; just their design. Ask for a refund. Wow.

Folks, am I crazy? Anyone else struggling to remove the ash catcher? And really wonder why am I NOT seeing this objection posted online anywhere?

I cannot imagine buying a different brand; but this is a true deal breaker for a guy that empties the ash catcher once a week. . .

Thus I ask for your Help/Solution!

Thank you, ScottD

Moving to Weber Charcoal Grills forum.

I've got the same ash catcher on my Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, it's seems to work OK for me, but you're not the only person to prefer the old version. The problem I always had with the old version was getting both ends of the handle to engage the ring...I'd always miss one side or the other!

Sorry I don't have a solution for you...maybe someone smarter than me does. Maybe a pair of channel locks? :D

You are NOT alone in the discomfort using the new design, I put one on my "secondary" kettle (the maroon 18 in my avatar) and am happy I don't use it daily! It's just awkward. The old style isn't great either for the reasons Chris stated above, it's takes practice to get it lined up and generally for me, 2-3 tries!
Like the last line in "Some like it hot"
"Nobody's perfect"!

Thank for the replies!
Looks like I need to design a better mousetrap and sell it to Weber. This morning I thought about cutting off the ends/tips that have to move inward as to allow the dumping. That would seemingly be a relatively easy fix for Weber as well.
Please keep the thoughts coming!
Would REALLY like to hear from a Weber engineer . . .
Scott

Scott, the one on my Performer was a little difficult in the beginning. I have emptied it many times over the last year and a half and it seems to have loosened up some. Maybe taking it off and working it with some channel locks might break it in some.

I actually prefer the new design. My old OTG ash catcher has been fiddly the last few years so this new design was a welcomed change for me. I didn't read the instructions so it took me a couple of minutes to figure out the new latch and release system. No complaints here.

ATTENTION WEBER ENGINEERS:
You can do better. Fortunately, I have a co-worker with powerful wire cutters that is fixing your design flaw -by cutting off about a 1/4" on BOTH ends of the handle that hooks onto the grill to fasten/catch the ashes. That lessons the force/pain that needs to squeeze and remove the ash catcher.
The other thing I have observed is that the current metal on metal is NOT a smooth, silky operation. Quite the opposite. Thus our struggles. Perhaps one of these pieces or both need to be teflon coated..? Or something to make the handle move without so much FRICTION> i.e. feel lubricated.
Scott

ATTENTION WEBER ENGINEERS:
You can do better. Fortunately, I have a co-worker with powerful wire cutters that is fixing your design flaw -by cutting off about a 1/4" on BOTH ends of the handle that hooks onto the grill to fasten/catch the ashes. That lessons the force/pain that needs to squeeze and remove the ash catcher.
The other thing I have observed is that the current metal on metal is NOT a smooth, silky operation. Quite the opposite. Thus our struggles. Perhaps one of these pieces or both need to be teflon coated..? Or something to make the handle move without so much FRICTION> i.e. feel lubricated.
Scott

Pics on said modification would be nice. I always planned in upgrading Ash catcher. I always dread changing. I procastanate to point where I can see Ash almost hitting the kettle.

BTW: I agree that the old one was also a bit touchy. But I prefer the older ..... Both ash dumps might be improved with 3 longer legs so we do not have to bend over so much to fuss/reach it . . ?

My neighbor across the street hooked up the old style ash catcher to his Master Touch. I figured he must have lost the original catcher, and went the cheap replacement route, but perhaps he too was having a problem with his, and went back to the old catcher, to fix his problem? I'd ask him, but I'd be stuck talking to the guy for no less than an hour, and anything over 5 minutes is painful...

Hi. I am new on forum but long time follower. Although my old performer catcher was awkward as described I have to literally sit on the ground with the new one. It also seems like the pot is smaller!

Scuse me if I'm wrong, but you are talking about a ash catcher like a OTG? There used to be threads on the old forum where you used a file or Dremel tool to take off a little material from the top of the pan where it did hit the leg sockets.
The little tabs where the ring locks into the leg sockets was the problem. They get bent and off kilter. I remedied that by getting it tight and in line and adding 3 self tapping screws to each leg.
If the handle is to hard to squeeze from a locked position maybe try a permanent solution like a hose clamp or SS zip tie to release pressure.

Tim

Last edited:
I'm getting more confused by the minute!
The old one (square bottom) had to be carefully coaxed into the "non handle" side slots. Touchy but, not a real problem.
The new one, (rounded bottom) you need to squeeze the handle a bit to allow the side to disengage, requiring more hand pressure. Kind of a pain when uncle Arthur starts to show up. Also the new one is smaller capacity!
I'm 60 in 17 days, not a great issue with arthritis yet, still play mandolin, guitar, and banjo without misery (well, to myself at least, not sure about listeners) but, this handle is just not the caliber many of us have come to expect from the R&D department at the Weber company.
Tim, if the handle is compressed too much, it will simply fall from the notch. At least if I'm reading what you are saying clearly.

Last edited:
There used to be threads on the old forum where you used a file or Dremel tool to take off a little material from the top of the pan where it did hit the leg sockets.
I found a couple of your old posts about this topic:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?243-22-5-OTG-sticky-ash-catcher&p=112090&viewfull=1#post112090
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?36...cher-Operation&p=363749&viewfull=1#post363749

But I can't find that old post with photos you referenced. Back in the early days, I used to prune threads in the Grilling Forum to save space. Not any more, but that's probably why we can't find it. I even busted out the old SQL database from before our move to this new platform in 2012 and can't find it. It's long gone, unfortunately.

To all,
Cutting 1/4" off both ends of the handle that hook onto the grill makes a pretty big difference/improvement. Still room for improvement; but at least I can keep it.
Meanwhile, still hoping to hear from a Weber representative . . .
Best, Scott

Hmmm.....interesting. I'm ok with it now and it doesn't annoy me but if it really improves the action maybe I'll take my dremel tool or angle grinder to the ends this weekend ...

I'm getting more confused by the minute!
The old one (square bottom) had to be carefully coaxed into the "non handle" side slots. Touchy but, not a real problem.
The new one, (rounded bottom) you need to squeeze the handle a bit to allow the side to disengage, requiring more hand pressure. Kind of a pain when uncle Arthur starts to show up. Also the new one is smaller capacity!
I'm 60 in 17 days, not a great issue with arthritis yet, still play mandolin, guitar, and banjo without misery (well, to myself at least, not sure about listeners) but, this handle is just not the caliber many of us have come to expect from the R&D department at the Weber company.
Tim, if the handle is compressed too much, it will simply fall from the notch. At least if I'm reading what you are saying clearly.

Yea I'm confused too because I don't know what you mean by a "square bottom" both of my pans have a round bottom or do you mean something else?

My 06 ash catcher .
36092335920_b56d5559e4_h.jpg

And my 12 one.
36321056352_8f32bba0de_h.jpg

So the handle sits securely in the slot, and as the OP mentioned it was hard to squeeze the handle to remove it, so I suggested adding a zip tie to release pressure.
How does that make it fall out?
Or do you guys have something totally different?

Tim

Back