HM with integrated LCD Display

WBegg

TVWBB Pro
I recently purchased a 3.5" LCD TFT touch display for a Rpi and thought it might be interesting to somehow integrate it with the Heatermeter.

My idea thus far is to design a case for a headless HM, and include the LCD display above to show the web page (flames). It does need it's own Rpi. The screen I am using is this one.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm also playing around with a 5" screen that may prove a little better at displaying the entire web page.

7VKTxKz.jpg

Last edited:
A new mock-up with a 5" touch screen. I like this better as it is able to show the entire page with 800x480 display. Thought it might be cool to design a case like a game boy, where the screen flips up. May be a bit bulky though.

REVQAGq.jpg

Wow neat! I actually have a couple SPI LCDs here that I am going to play with swapping out the character LCD and button(s) for a small touch screen. It wouldn't be the full webui, but rather be more replicate the current LCD's function and add more information and settings options on the device itself. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it apart from a quick basic little test app to see how terrible they are response-wise and they are not bad at all. The best thing would be that the cost of this would be less than the current LCD, although I would be reliant on getting Chinese non-branded untraceable LCD modules which means that stock might completely disappear and quality control would probably be an issue. I'd also worry about how long they'd last being left outside for all of their working life, whereas the current button system is very robust.

I like that little Pi with an LCD in a case though, looks slick!

This is pretty cool -- what's the idea behind the usage on this? I'm already struggling to keep the original heatermeter clean and dry. Seems like you would struggle keeping it working but also using it in a pragmatic way. I could see this working a bit better if it had a custom configuration interface with just sliders or some kind of larger button versus the default interface where the configuration contexts are so close together. I can see it has a backlight -- how does it hold up to full sunlight?

Back