Video Review: GreenFlame Natural Charcoal Lighter Fluid

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you read that right. I did a video review of a lighter fluid. Spoiler Alert: I'm not giving up my chimney starter anytime soon.

Great review Chris, but I'll stick with my hickory flavored fluid. :p

STQLazGKEAa4LwB6GVZTAYfB7ZV87xwNSCYuvq2HBOq22rknAUsOX-HlDGWi6H7Q7anpH5F2odf2lH_UpjXrAFg17-HoNoeCEjphvCLuj8i-Hb9_shl9JnOPLMvkWcopjgdJXH_wsjAnSM9hfYhWK-wEGtbQnqTylejoHmCGve1tRyQLhwjdvTEayt-yToaOQyCt12jL8YLza9yEB9vOrsViHB6VjvvsZIsCTdeB6ZMP3xg5XlKOob7uJLlJx6YC8Nai4cCyJyYRxcnOr6bxuI7piXLybQx_iWopLr9LRPO7CO0dPY4OlRP51lZM_ziMlOzP8tKWtO0ZH2RGj0qVsSeIMAZD6zMvpYYuZmwqh7wNeBeSlx6d0k2I-6Om0aKhPARp-Y9O5_VEVL7uX-akOxmIenKOMaNeDRPctjwO77ifj81bXnlyRb1MaNKaa4PjhYiuE8MNxrzsg9y7OftX9rTf17Sg4jUDDFujxTgmjclzD-lKUdiIlFZNp5DrYbkJm0kWciEjjCLlNW1og2r3AuykcZW3RUtHw84L04S97xkFGGwGFMmXMFgDZ3HVO8U7iDUuoPObTy7nHUc_HUIzwf605NIAlY_vZmCYD_Hdg_iYAPOFOYyHL5wY=w595-h896-no

Bob, that's a great piece for the "Shrine of Barbecue" any idea how old that is? I'm guessing late fifties to mid sixties.
"Ideal for every broiler" I love that!
Excellent review Chris! Clear, honest, and very fair. The stuff sounds a bit like biodiesel. My brother and nephew have done some biodiesel production (nephew did it professionally in Ohio) my brother used leftover turkey frying oil and some from a restaurant in town. We fired some in an oil lamp, nephews '64 Mercedes and my brothers pick up.
Following them made you wonder who the heck is frying a bird driving down the road!

He experimented with making a bit of a "gel" for the same fire ignition purpose. Maybe camping or in a fireplace but, I'm not sold on any of it.

Last edited:
Wow Chris, that must have been difficult to do. If it smells better I should send some to my neighbor.

Nice review Chris, very informative. I agree I'll stick with my chimney and propane ignition.

I've never found a lighter that gives me more than a half inch flame. Looks like a sick birthday candle. A real pain keeping it lit in a bit of wind as well.

Chris, your's is like a flame thrower. What's the brand?

UNRELATED: you've got a tab entitled "Videos". Maybe re-title it "Videos and Product Reviews" to give it a bit more context.

Last edited:
Nice Review, Chris. Like everyone else here, I'll stick with my chimney starter!

This might actually be a good product to give to that stubborn father, uncle or brother-in-law who continues to drown coals in petroleum products. I can't count how many times my uncle said, "I'm almost 80 years old and lighter fluid hasn't hurt me yet!" He never seems to notice that his burgers taste like benzene. Maybe with the GreenFlame his cooking will be more edible.

Thank you for the thorough review.

At home, I will stick with my chimney. However, I can see this product being beneficial when using public park/beach/campground grills, as I don't always want to bring my equipment along.

If I see some near me, I would give it a try. Maybe just because that was how I learned to light charcoal, and I am a nostalgic guy, and it burns clean.
Thanks for the review Chris.

Just wondering: how is that micro torch at lighting a gas/propane grill? It'll be good for the paper/chimney route, that I can see.

With such a stubby end, I don't know that I want to get the gas on and hold the torch over the grilling surface (as opposed to the other style goose-neck lighter you stick through the hole)?

At $30 for the torch vs $1 for the goose neck is why I ask.

Although, at $1, I can toss the gooseneck every year for 30 years ;) which I do anyways because the gas in the g.neck usually stops flowing after a year (and yes it's full)

Last edited:
I don't understand what all the trouble with lighting the fire is for so many, I've used regular farmer matches for an awfully long time with no problems. Fill chimney, light paper, wait, dump, cook. It ain't rocket science fellas!
I like the long lighter for other ignition needs (fireplace). Do I need it? No. Do I want it? Yep!

Great review Chris. Yea, like most, I use my chimney, and with the built-in propane on the ole Performer, or better yet on my new Summit charcoal grill, I am spoiled! I do however ALWAYS bring a bottle camping. It comes in handy.

We set the Weber chimney on the Genesis S-310's cooking grate and light it from the bottom with this.
Only use the Genesis gets anymore.

Not a single tasking torch. Also used for soldering copper pipe, etc...

Chris... So this new lighter fluid... Is it cbj comment card approved ? ;)
There wouldn't be anything to comment about! I don't think it affects flavor in any way.

Chris, your's is like a flame thrower. What's the brand?
It's an old Weber branded refillable butane lighter. I adjust the flame to the max for easy lighting!

I don't understand what all the trouble with lighting the fire is for so many, I've used regular farmer matches for an awfully long time with no problems. Fill chimney, light paper, wait, dump, cook. It ain't rocket science fellas!
I like the long lighter for other ignition needs (fireplace). Do I need it? No. Do I want it? Yep!
It's interesting how butane lighters have overtaken wooden strike-anywhere matches when it comes to grilling, lighting candles around the house, etc. There's just something about the "point-click-light" nature of it that people really seem to like. I do think the length of the lighter has something to do with it. Just easier to reach under the chimney starter, don't have to bend over so far, easier reach into the fireplace, etc.

Oh, and don't forget birthday cakes...how many matches are needed to light the candles on an old guy's cake? Advantage butane lighter, for sure! :)

I'll let you know how many it takes in another week, I will have officially reached the age of majority, reason and, excusable crankiness!
I still like farmer matches, the lift kit I did on the carriage helps with the beck issues when bending over so much to light a chimney

Chris, thanks for biting the bullet on this one! I'm with you, I'm keeping my chimney!
And I had 2 questions, which you answered nicely. What does it smell like, and did you cook anything over the coals you lit with it? Thank you for answering my, uh, burning questions! ;)

Back