Webers New iGrill app SUCKS!!!!

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I have had the iGrill therms since the very first one came out. When they were owned by iDevices the products and apps were continually being improved. Since being bought out by Weber everything has been going downhill. Weber has made two major revamps of the app that connects the therm to a whatever device you may be using. The first revamp wasn't much of change as far as the user was concerned. It just added Weber's logo, etc. This last revamp is absolutely horrible. I should preface that yes I have sent complaints into Weber.

Here are the major concerns that I have with the new app:

1. No more range settings. Used to be able to set a range alarm like 225-235. Alarm would sound if it went above or below. That feature is now gone.

2. Lowest setting you can set a probe for is 100. Highest is 200. Guess you can no longer monitor pit temps...

3. Can only graph one probe at a time. If you look at another probe you lose the info from the others.

4. Connectivity issues. Never had problems. Now its like the unit times out after an hour if you aren't interacting with it. No more sleeping and smoking using this decvice.

I'll be looking for a new therm like the Fireboard or Tappeque.

I think the whole iGrill thing sucks, mainly 'cos the use of Bluetooth technology is limited to a few feet. Got my money back and bought a Maverick with RF connectivity. Apple have a lot to answer for, everyone wants to do things via an app nowdays:)

I haven't used the new app on a cook yet. Guess I'd better try it out before the sale on the Thermoworks Smoke ends.

I dont find (quickly) what BT versions the different flawors of iGrill have but remember

Bluetooth version Maximum speed[citation needed] Maximum range[citation needed]
3.0 25 Mbit/s[17] 10 meters (33 ft)
4.0 25 Mbit/s[18] 60 meters (200 ft)[19]
5 50 Mbit/s 240 meters (800 ft)

And it always use the lovest units versions limits, so it depends on your phone to.

But my own opinion is that BT usually sucks with distance and obstacle's

Last edited:
Those figures are probably line of sight, anything in the way, aka a stone wall of a house, and you can forget it IMO. So it kinda defeats the whole object of monitoring whatever you cooking unless your outside with the transmitter.

I always felt like digital temp and iOS/Android apps was something not in Weber's wheelhouse. Something better left for the aftermarket crowd or maybe a co-branding partnership. Just too different of a product.

I just tried out the new app. Yes, that is absolute garbage. They gutted that app in the name of simplicity. The app always bothered me that you had to have a probe hooked up to see anything. I hate it when the "update" takes away features.

I went to go leave a nasty review but it looks like they are supposed to fix this in a future update.

Last edited:
Apps, apps, apps. :p

What ever happened to .exe's? (computer name for executable program)

I don't have a smartphone, yet, so I guess an app is useless for folks like me?

I had a cook last night that I only needed to monitor pit temps. With the current set up there isn't that option so you have to pick a temp (highest is 200°) I wanted a pit temp of 350°. I also wanted to know if I dipped 10°below or spiked 10° above. Can't do that anymore.

I've sent several nasty grams to the feedback link they have. I haven't got any responses back.

Connectivity was a problem too. I never had an issue. I could walk all around my property before.

Weber needs to roll back this app to the old.

Back