Heat Shields on Genesis E310

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I picked up a Genesis E310 today. It is either a 2012 or 2013 model. I see on the schematics web page on weber.com that it has "Heat Sheilds". So, what exactly are heat shields and what are they for. The grill I purchased didn't have them at all, but it seems it was supposed to.

I am not talking about the flavorizer bars. They are "Heat Shields".

RWr11rf.jpg

Weber in an effort to make the grill more "efficient" lowered the total BTU and added those deflectors under the burners to reflect heat back up under the grate. They are also supposed to help reduce the chance of a grease fire by helping to burn off drippings before that go through and help prevent hot bits from getting down into the grease control system causing a fire. I actually experimented with doing this on my old Genesis to some success and with no success on my Summit.

Thank Larry.
From what I understand, these newer grills are basically the same as the previous model, but just added the heat shields. This grill is going to be a flip so I will probably just leave them off. Seems that is how the previous owner has been using it for quite a while anyway.

They are also supposed to help reduce the chance of a grease fire by helping to burn off drippings before that go through and help prevent hot bits from getting down into the grease control system causing a fire
They do work in that statement. Mine catch fire all the time during the heat up. Sometimes the drip pan catches fire too. Chicken seems to be the cause of most my fires, I have to remember to pull the drip pan and clean if after BBQ chicken, or I can count on a pan fire on the next heat up

I guess maybe I will look for some heat shields. I hope they are not expensive.

Briefly I had a e/w burner Genesis s310 without heat shields and less grease evaporated. The n/s burners didn't generate the same amount so heat so they had to deflect more heat upwards and essentially insulated the bottom more.(just like what lmichaels said.)

Oh, I didn't realize that. I figured they were a bit too intricate for easy fabrication. But, on that line, I just realized my grill has them. They were so covered in crap, that I just thought it was a pile of crud under the burners. Hahahahaha. They are ceramic plated steel, so I will just replace them with the new weber SS ones. Too late to cancel the order from weber.

Back