Genesis E310 side controls (2008)

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I just picked up the above grill at an auction for $40. It is going to take some work to put it back in shape. For sure new flavo bars. I think the cast iron cooking grate might be salvageable. I have to do a bit of cleaning to know for sure. The burners need a bit of cleaning but look OK as well.
But, I have never done one of these newer Genesis grills. I have done several Spirit and Genesis Silver B's and older but none like this one.
It has SS shelves and chrome trim around the hood edges and around the frame under neath. Well, the SS shelves and the chrome trim looks like it needs a lot of cleaning. I am not sure, but the chrome trim around the base might even have surface rust.

How do I go about cleaning the chrome trim and the SS shelves. I don't want to mess up the SS shelves by using something on them that will scratch them. I also, don't want to damage the chrome. (Hopefully it is just grease on the chrome and not rust).

Also, the grey cast aluminum end caps on the shelves have some oxidation and peeling paint. It is looking for a stripping and repaint job there. Is there a good paint out there in medium to dark grey? It probably doesnt need to be high temp since it is on the end caps on the ends of the shelves.

This is a nice grill and with my inexperience with them, I don't want to make stupid mistakes. I did that when I first started with the older Genesis grills.

Oh, and the frame, storage box and doors look to be nearly rust free which is a pleasant surprise. I would have posted some photos, but I dont have access to the grill right now. I will post photos later but this is a photo off the internet that is the same as my grill....but cleaner.

Pcu3bG2.jpg

Thanks for any answers to my questions or other advice regarding refurbing these newer grills.

Geese, now just after finishing this post, I cracked a deal to pick up another Genesis 310 (front burner controls) for $50. I might have more questions.

Here is the CL add photo:

ka7lxnE.jpg

Feast or famin around here. It all seems run in streaks. a month ago, I picked up two older Genesis and they were both green heads (special edition) is what weber called them. They were identical grills down to the same manufacture year. I picked them both up the same day.
I did pick up another 1993 redhead yesterday identical to my personal grill as well, right down to the same manufacture year. Up until then, it was really slow, now I am getting everything in twos.
I am about done now for quite a while. I can't fit everything in the garage any more and I have to rehab and sell some of what I got now. These newer grills really intrigued me though. I had to get them. Oh, and the next grill comes with two propane tanks. I was really looking for some a couple months ago, now I have ten in the garage, some partially, some fully and some empty. I am going to start including a tank with every grill I rehab and sell....LOL

Last edited:
Yah, I picked up that other E310 last night. Better condition and a 2012 model with front controls. Biggest problem is the missing heat deflectors.

I still need some tips for cleaning up these newer grills...Especially the stainless shelves and chrome trim. Tips on other parts are appreciated as well.

Here are a couple photos of the two grills..
This is the 2008 that I got at the auction for $40

uzTfMFD.jpg

iRMwvQl.jpg

DYTobGI.jpg

a1lNiHN.jpg

And here is the 2012 that I picked up last night for $50

IIj3nPk.jpg

vxSbDRX.jpg

tvfn2g2.jpg

V3lwc8O.jpg

I think it was good day with two good scores. Now, I just need to find the time to dive in and get them cleaned and fixed up.

Bruce,
Looking forward to your restore of these two "newer" Weber's and how you think they compare to the Vintage Weber's you have done in the past.

Jeff

Yah, I am bit anxious to dive in as well. I do have a couple other project grills already in the pipeline though and I go in for surgery tomorrow and that will entail some down time before my camping trip next week. So, it will be a while, but it will be interesting to get after them. I am still looking for some good tips on the best way to clean up the Stainless steel shelves and chrome trim. Also, I am wondering if some one knows of a good paint to color match the grey these use. The frame on the 2008 has bit of rust, so I will have to do some work there, but I definitely need to do the aluminum shelf end caps in grey. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the lid end caps or outside cook box. It doesn't look like Rustoleum makes a high heat grey.

When I did a 300 series, I couldn't find a paint that totally matched. I even looked at VHT at the local Auto Zone. Not sure that AZ carries the full line though. I ended up doing a color change to black high heat Ultra from Rusto. On the stainless, start with a towel and some Simple Green and work upwards from there. You might have to opt for an actual Stainless Steel cleaner. Don't know of anything to recommend, but do know that you need to look close to try and find the "grain" in the SS finish, and wipe in it's direction.

Be sure to really check the bottom and side panels carefully for rust and if you see ANY at all, do something about it immediately. Use a rust converter and then clear coat it.

I will be fine. It is kind of a preventive procedure on a benign tumor.

Anyway, I might have to go to black as well. I would love a dark grey, but hard to find in a 1200 degree paint. I wonder how it would look if I just did the frame in black and left the fire box and end caps grey along with the table end caps.

Basic black always looks good IMO. Best of luck on the surgery. Look at NAPA parts store in your area. Some carry a full line of paints and also mix paints. I.E. we have a NAPA nearby in Marengo IL that I have do paint mixing when I have to touch up a car. They also carry the biggest line of rattle cans I have ever seen in one place. Farm & Fleet is also a good place (or maybe yours is Fleet Farm same family). Tons of paints there BTW

Thank Larry. would you use flat black or satin/gloss?
I will check out NAPA and Blains F&F too.

Frankly I like satin as an overall decent way to go. Though on the textured surfaces of the aluminum you can get way with gloss products and they "look" satin plus on the frame rails the gloss looks nice. Though here too if you have imperfections (sanding marks and such) going satin all the way hides a lot of "issues"

I also have a sidewinder E320 in copper (2008) it's a great grill. It's NG so the bottle never runs out :rolleyes:. I love my 1000 Redhead and 2000 Greenie the E320 is a little bigger and taller, which I like cooking wise not much different between the old and newer models IMHO.
Good luck with your surgery, hope all goes well.

THanks all, I am back and surgery went well. Just a week of down time and I should be goood to go. I have a few grills in the garage needing attention. I should be able to get most of the prep work done for them before hand though.

Hey, question regarding the Genny E310 grills. I have a 2008 and a 2012. The 2008 has the side controls and the 2012 has the front controls and Heat Shields. I ordered a new set of heat shields for the 2012 since I didn't think they were in the grill....but they were. They were just covered in gunk. Anyway, can I move those heat shields to the 2008 and put the new ones in the 2012?

I made something like that on my old Genesis III. They worked to a point. They did help to keep flame ups down

Back