Small Vortex....how well will it work on a 22" Kettle ????

DubfromGA

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone have any experience with this ?

I have a small Vortex coming my way with the intentions of using in on an 18" Kettle at my house.

Friends and family members have 22" Kettles, however. :blackkettle:

When visiting them, would the small Vortex work okay on wing, chicken & other cooks if used on the larger grills.

I see the medium is one that Vortex recommends....didn't know if that small unit would do well in others.

One way to find out, you may not get as much heat as the larger one would put out, but I think it would work.

The small will work with the 18 or 22. I went with the medium as it is recommended for the 22 and 26.

Last edited:
Okay...thanks.

I may run lump in it when using the larger kettles. Maybe that'll give a tad more heat.

Well.....it thing proves to work really well on the 18" at the house.....I may simply get the medium for those road trips, lol. Small price to pay for excellent wings.

No experience with the small but I don't fill my medium Vortex with charcoal and get 500° at the wall of the kettle. If you fill the small you will be close enough. The radiant heat on the meat from the Vortex just depends on how many hot coals are working for you and how close the meat is to the Vortex. It will work fine.

think it will be fine, might just have to move the wings/chickens a bit closer if ur not satisfied with the crisp

You will be fine, I run a small on my 22, no problems getting to 500 + degrees. I like it so much in the 22 that I have not even tried it in my 18.

Considering how hot a Weber chimney starter gets, which, in itself is a vortex of sorts, I'd say the small vortex should work. Hmmm...I reckon one could saw an old chimney starter down to size and use it as a vortex.

I just purchased a stainless steel dog bowl at the dollar store, and I plan to cut the bottom out and try it as a vortex on my 18' kettle.

Back