2018 Spirit II Gas Grill Redesign

Robert JS

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone, first post on this message board. I work at a Weber Alliance dealer location, and just wanted to share that the Spirit series of Weber grills is going to be redesigned for 2018. Look for $50 off MAP price on current Spirit grills beginning August 14th.

I've been a bit of a lurker here over the past 6 months or so, figured this was a good reason to make my first post. Looking forward to discussing all things Weber on this message board.

I'd seen a pic of what was purported to be the new Spirits. Looks like they're taking a page out of the Genesis II book- open design, same burners, etc. I had not seen any confirmation of that, however. Until your post.

That sounds like what they're going with based off what I have heard. I haven't seen a picture yet, but I've been told there will be an open cart and iGrill 3 compatibility. Supposedly there will be a few different colors, I was told about a blue and a white.

Unrelated to the Spirit line, I was also told that the Genesis II line will be adding a couple SKU's. Similar to the SE-410 (stainless steel grates on flavorizer bars), there will now be an SE-310. He also mentioned a Genesis II E-310 with a stainless steel lid, so maybe S-310?

That sounds like what they're going with based off what I have heard. I haven't seen a picture yet, but I've been told there will be an open cart and iGrill 3 compatibility. Supposedly there will be a few different colors, I was told about a blue and a white.

Unrelated to the Spirit line, I was also told that the Genesis II line will be adding a couple SKU's. Similar to the SE-410 (stainless steel grates on flavorizer bars), there will now be an SE-310. He also mentioned a Genesis II E-310 with a stainless steel lid, so maybe S-310?

I wonder if they had some demand for those models on the 3 burner size. It seems to me that for most families, 2 burners is too small and 4 is too large. 3 burners is about right. With an SE-310 and S-310 to offer they'll have a little more choice for those interested in that size. I'm kinda surprised they haven't offered those.

Weber would do well to bring production back here, lose all the proliferation and duplication of lines and just concentrate on making a decent product again at a price that makes sense. As they're going now all I see is a useless proliferation of models and duplications and severe downgrade of the product(s) while jacking the price. It won't be long before we see the same exact products sold under a different name like B&D for half the price

I have to agree Larry. Seems they are trying to fill every possible need and desire and in the process are over complicating their line and likely losing some of their simplicity and reliability.

As to bringing production back to the US, I would welcome that and maybe some changes in the tax code will help that happen over the next year or two.

I think the open cart design on the spirit line will improve an already good grill. Good news imo.

I definitely prefer an open base grill. The cabinets are just magnates for rust, rodent nests and junk storage. Bottom line, it is an added cost that I don't want any way.

In better weather states like california I find the covered storage great for grill scraper, drip pans and other doo-dad's. And to keep my dog out the grease tray. No snow, no humidity, and not enough rain.

Got some new information regarding the Weber 2018 lineup for gas grills that I thought I'd share to my original post here.

Quick Genesis update: Weber has added 2 SKU's to the Genesis II lineup. Similar to the SE-410 (stainless steel grates and flavorizer bars), there is a now a 3 burner SE model called the SE-310. There is also now a Genesis II S-310 which is the same as the SE-310, but it has a stainless steel lid instead of black.

As mentioned above, the Spirit line has been redesigned for 2018. The look is pretty similar to the new Genesis II which came out this year (open cart, low profile lid, iGrill3 compatability). However, the Spirits will keep the same burner tubes as the current Spirit line which comes as somewhat of a surprise to me. I guess those will be used to upsell to a Genesis II. There are 2 models of the new Spirit line, an E-210 and an E-310. Both models will come in 4 colors for LP models: black, red, blue and white.

Also new for 2018, all Weber Spirit, Genesis and Summit grills will feature a full 10 year warranty. Before, certain parts came with a 10 year warranty and all remaining parts had a 2 year warranty. From what it sounds like, all gas grills will now have a full 10 year warranty no matter which part you need replaced. This policy will apply to Genesis II grills purchased in 2017.

Last edited:
Weber would do well to bring production back here, lose all the proliferation and duplication of lines and just concentrate on making a decent product again at a price that makes sense. As they're going now all I see is a useless proliferation of models and duplications and severe downgrade of the product(s) while jacking the price. It won't be long before we see the same exact products sold under a different name like B&D for half the price

I have to agree Larry. Seems they are trying to fill every possible need and desire and in the process are over complicating their line and likely losing some of their simplicity and reliability.

As to bringing production back to the US, I would welcome that and maybe some changes in the tax code will help that happen over the next year or two.

They have been sourcing and manufacturing grills and parts for over 10 years already. I really can't see it happening.

This is why the labels started saying "Designed and Engineered in USA" as there wasn't even enough actually MADE in the US (including the printing of the manual)!

Got some new information regarding the Weber 2018 lineup for gas grills that I thought I'd share to my original post here.

Quick Genesis update: Weber has added 2 SKU's to the Genesis II lineup. Similar to the SE-410 (stainless steel grates and flavorizer bars), there is a now a 3 burner SE model called the SE-310. There is also now a Genesis II S-310 which is the same as the SE-310, but it has a stainless steel lid instead of black.

As mentioned above, the Spirit line has been redesigned for 2018. The look is pretty similar to the new Genesis II which came out this year (open cart, low profile lid, iGrill3 compatability). However, the Spirits will keep the same burner tubes as the current Spirit line which comes as somewhat of a surprise to me. I guess those will be used to upsell to a Genesis II. There are 2 models of the new Spirit line, an E-210 and an E-310. Both models will come in 4 colors for LP models: black, red, blue and white.

Also new for 2018, all Weber Spirit, Genesis and Summit grills will feature a full 10 year warranty. Before, certain parts came with a 10 year warranty and all remaining parts had a 2 year warranty. From what it sounds like, all gas grills will now have a full 10 year warranty no matter which part you need replaced. This policy will apply to Genesis II grills purchased in 2017.

Robert, are there stainless steel Spirit versions S-210 and S-310 or have those been dropped? If dropped, stainless is now a feature only found in the Genesis II lineup...and probably another upsell opportunity to Genesis.

Here are photos of the new "Spirit II" grills:

7bqfPRZ.jpg

Spirit II E-210 LP in ivory, $399

d9OiVWi.jpg

Spirit II E-310 LP in red, $499

ZJy1HE0.jpg

Spirit II E-310 LP in blue, $499

aRSE1WH.jpg

Spirit II E-310 NG in black, $499

And photos of the two new Genesis II grills:

udR0uOo.jpg

Genesis II SE-310 LP, $749

BTBhuFf.jpg

Genesis II S-310 LP, $799

Seems like Weber has taken to updating the grills much quicker than they used to. It also looks like they are getting away from the cabinet form factor which I think is a good thing. Those colors are great looking, as long as the lids are still a quality ceramic coating and not some cheap finish.

I still wonder why NG grills can't come in colors. I'd have bought my Genesis 310 in green had it been available (it's not worth buying the parts new, but if it had been no-cost, sure). I get that they may not want to multiply SKUs, but it's just a simple door/hood swap.

The new Spirits look nice, I just wonder how the construction is. My father was looking hard at a Genesis II 3 burner, but ended up ordering a Broil King Sovereign 20 instead- it came in $100 less than the Gen II and felt better constructed.

Sadly from what I have seen of the previous Spirit line quality is pretty much in the toilet and would only hope it goes up. But given the current management of Weber it's el cheapo on quality and high on price across the board. Sad

The new Spirit line looks great. Love the colors. My 2 friends that have bought Spirits within the last couple of years love theirs. One moved from a members mark to a spirit 310 this past summer. He said it was night and day difference in performance and quality.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was in the market for a new grill.

If I was in the market for a brand new grill and I had that kind of cash, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one either. But, I don't have that kind of money and finding a grill to fix up and spending less than $100 total for a like new Genesis Silver B or 1000 seems a lot more appealing to me. I do like the new color options though.

I just got a Lowes email showing all Spirits reduced by $50, this must be the clear out before the new models appear. I don't need one but it may help someone trying to get into a Weber that doesn't have the interest in restoring one.

Question for those of you who have either seen or used the new Spirit II (3 burner). I have decided to make the upgrade from a 2008 spirit 310 which has done me amazingly well for the last decade or so. I was looking at the new spirit line and to be honest I am a little concerned with what appears like a cheaper made spirit than what I am used to. The grill is the same size but looks like it has dropped 10 pounds, which is never a sign of high quality. Furthermore, I stopped by a local home depot who had one on display and was dismayed when i opened the lid at how light and flimsy everything felt. Now full disclosure, they only had 1 and it was tucked in between a few other grills so it was difficult to get a great look at it. Also, I will always take these floor models with a grain of salt because I know they can sometimes be assembled pretty poorly. Having said that, it just doesn't feel from a quality of materials like my old spirit. Has this just changed with the II's, or did this change a few years back?

I am now at a loss as to what to do. I don't particularly want to spend the money on a genesis although I will say that line still feels like an extremely solidly made grill (like the weber i am used to). Or god forbid do I look at a Napoleon or Broil King? I thought I had my mind made up until that day I saw one in the store and now I am more confused than ever. Would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this.

Maybe I am reading too much into this weight thing, Weber has never steered me wrong (I also have a WSM which I love). Its just concerning that to the naked eye, at least at this one particular location, the Nexgrill next to the Weber felt more solidly built than the new spirit lineup.

Back