14.5 vs 22.5 - What to do.....

Michael Roberts

TVWBB Fan
I got a 22.5 WSM around 6 weeks ago and have used it twice. Both times I was cooking for a group of around 15. It seems the 22.5 is really overkill for weekly use just for 2 people. My neighbor has a 14.5 he's offered to sell and I was thinking of getting it for weekly use. Seems it takes much less fuel and would be perfect for a few racks of ribs and a small brisket. I'd keep the 22.5 and use for parties and tailgates. Any advice or thoughts?

I have all 3. I use the 14.5" pretty much every weekend along with the 18.5". If its a good price for it, its a no brainer to get it.

AFAIK they all come with a cover. At $100 it's half price. I'd take it for that. Just depends how much you want it. Offer $75 if you feel comfortable dickering with your neighbour ;)

Or he might have a bag or 3 of briqs to throw in to sweeten the deal 😁

Agree. If you can get it for 1/2 price of a new one, and you have the space, go for it.

Just give him the hundred bucks, don't be cheap, it's a very good deal at that price, then invite him over for a feast!
I got a great deal on my 18 from a member and it's been prefect for my usual weekly get togethers of six and will handle most f my party needs, my brother has the 22 and I'm glad it's his to feed! I considered a 14 but, I thought it might be too small for my needs, the 18 has proven just about right!

Last edited:
I have a mini 14.5 and a 18.5 wsm. There is just two of us and I use the mini 90% of the time. It is very efficient and really will hold quite a bit. I use the 18.5 for larger items that don't fit on the mini like briskets and ribs.
I would get it, you won't be sorry.

I have a 14.5 & 18.5 WSM. I mostly cook for my wife & myself. The 14.5 gets 97% of the action.
You can cook a lot of food on the 14.5.

$100 is reasonable if it's in good condition.

I have the 14.5 WSM and like it a lot. The perfect size for cooking for a small family, or just yourself. I don't need a bigger smoker
as this one does what I need to do, and does it well, on just a little charcoal. Money well spent.

Yeah, go for it!!!!!

It's a pleasure to run, uses hardly any charcoal and I would figure it's ideal for 1 to 4 people.
That's not to say, I wouldn't want a 18" as well :wsm:

I've had a 14" WSM for several months now, but I have never been able to match the flavor produced by the 18" WSM for smoking pork butts yet. Could be my smoke wood is getting old, but with that said, the 14" smoker gets used more often for items like ribs, chicken, sausages, hot dogs, etc. I wouldn't want to be without it.

I have a 22.5 and if I find a 14.5 for $100 I'm getting it. My 18.5 is going to my daughter now that I have the big one.

Sounds like one helluva deal.

I went the big and bigger route, I've got a 22.5 WMS and 26.75 Kettle. I am duly impressed that you can do a brisket on a 14.5.

BD

Back