Thermoset Tables

Paul C.

Does anyone have experience fixing thermoset tables? I have one with a small crack in the back and a chip. For now, I used crazy glue to stabilize it, bur was wondering if there was anything else that could be used, such as epoxy, jb weld, etc. Thanks, Paul

I don't have any experience repairing those. But i would think epoxy would work well.

I think Epoxy or check out the Gorilla Glue products. They makes some great stuff. Either that, or just watch Craigslist for a donor grill.

Use a good epoxy. gorilla is OK on wood but not plastic and super glue well.........................consider what it was really invented to do. It was invented during the Vietnam war to help close up our guys in the field after the VC got done shooting the hell out of them. It has it's uses but really not that many

Didn't know that larry. Interesting. I have heard about using it for wound closure however.

I've used super glue in a pinch to keep cuts closed and water tight. Didn't know it was purpose build for that

Yep it sure was. Thank the Vietnam war for it and all the guys of my gen who got shot up over that useless mess..................Sorry didn't mean to be political just I'm still so angry about that "conflict"

I was carving my turkey last Thanksgiving, knife slipped went to the bone. I have a video of it it is great. I didn't want to go get "stitches" so I wrapped it tightly, then super glued it. I have a scar, but nothing else. I used the cheap stuff too, works like a charm. I am planning to turn my bird this year and have the wife carve it. :) LMichaels, thank you for your service to our country. Yea I don't' like to get political either, but thank you for you service. :smilekettle:

Sorry I did not mean to mislead anyone. Thankfully I did not get sent to Nam. I was sweating bullets though as the callout got within 5 numbers of my draft number. Plenty of my classmates though never came back. It was an awful time for our country. In many ways far worse than now though boy we're sure giving it a run for the money. I just happen to know why super glue or cyanoacrelate (what it actually is) was developed. I have to go back to digging my bomb shelter now..................Duck and Cover LOL

super glue well.........................consider what it was really invented to do. It was invented during the Vietnam war to help close up our guys in the field after the VC got done shooting the hell out of them. It has it's uses but really not that many

Larry you are close that it was used in the Vietnam War but it was created before, but it was war related :) I did know as you said that it was used to close up wounds in the kits that they brought over with them as it states later in the article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Development

The original patent for cyanoacrylate was filed in 1942 by Goodrich Company.[2] as an outgrowth of a search for materials suitable for clear plastic gun sights for the war effort. In 1942, a team of scientists headed by Harry Coover Jr. stumbled upon a formulation that stuck to everything with which it came in contact.[3] The team quickly rejected the substance for the wartime application, but in 1951, while working as researchers for Eastman Kodak, Coover and a colleague, Fred Joyner, rediscovered cyanoacrylates. The two realized the true commercial potential, and a form of the adhesive was first sold in 1958 under the title "Eastman #910" (later "Eastman 910").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Medical
CA glue was in veterinary use for mending bone, hide, and tortoise shell by the early 1970s or before. Harry Coover said in 1966 that a CA spray was used in the Vietnam War to reduce bleeding in wounded soldiers until they could be brought to a hospital. n-Butyl cyanoacrylate has been used medically since the 1970s. In the US, due to its potential to irritate the skin, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration did not approve its use as a medical adhesive until 1998 with Dermabond.[11] Studies confirm that cyanoacrylate can be safer and more functional for wound closure than traditional suturing (stitches).[12] The adhesive is superior in time required to close wounds, incidence of infection (suture canals through the skin's epidermal, dermal, and subcutaneous fat layers introduce extra routes of contamination),[12] and final cosmetic appearance.[13][14]

My experience with super glue is that if it's going to work it sets immediately. Some plastics don't play well with super glue, some do. The key seems to be getting all the oxygen out. Porous type plastics usually won't bind well.

I've heard the story that it was developed to close wounds too. I've used it that way. I work on copiers and sometimes the sheet metal frame can be pretty sharp.

" I work on copiers"
Small world I used to also and then was recruited by Canon to be a Tech instructor. (of course this was a VERY long time ago LOL)

I guess I'm from the new school. The only thing I ever print is resumes to markup when interviewing applicants.

Back