Paint for a Q grill lid.

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
If I used a flat high heat paint for the lid of a Weber Q grill and then used a clear gloss over that, would it come out as gloss or at least a Satin finish?

What do you want ? If semi gloss then just get that. If for protection then I think a clear coat is not necessary. Is the paint 1200 degree paint ?

That is the problem. I can't find any 1200+ degree paint in gloss red or hardly any other gloss color for that matter. I can find the matt red and clear gloss though.

LMichaels: That was a good shot, but I don't care to pay $25 for a can of paint. I am doing the grill as a resale project and won't have a lot of room to invest in it if I want to turn any profit.

Yah, I suppose so, if it a color you really like. Being in Wisconsin, I was considering Red for the UW Badgers and maybe green and/or yellow for Green Bay Packers. I do think Rustoleum makes a Green gloss. Maybe I will just go with that. But being close to Madison, it seems red would be a bit more popular....as far as aesthetics goes, red is definitely better than Grasshopper green and Puke yellow.

Maybe I will just do the green for simplicity sake right now???? And see how that works out.

Yes. I believe so. I think they also jacked the price up about $50 per grill. I know for sure they made a lot of College themed grills.

Yah, I suppose so, if it a color you really like. Being in Wisconsin, I was considering Red for the UW Badgers and maybe green and/or yellow for Green Bay Packers. I do think Rustoleum makes a Green gloss. Maybe I will just go with that. But being close to Madison, it seems red would be a bit more popular....as far as aesthetics goes, red is definitely better than Grasshopper green and Puke yellow.

Maybe I will just do the green for simplicity sake right now???? And see how that works out.

Did you ever paint your lid and if so, any tips? Pics?

Thanks in advance.

Funny you should ask, I just finished cleaning it up a half hour ago. i will start painting tonight or tomorrow most likely. Few coats of the red Matt and then the clear to gloss it up. I will be sure to post back.

I had some surgery about two weeks ago and today was my first day back to working on grills.

I did not strip the paint. It was in pretty good condition, just some minor chips which are now not noticeable with the fresh paint. But, I have used an angle grinder and wire cup brush on several other Q grills to strip the paint. The problem with stripping the paint is that you lose all of the texturing that the original paint had and you wind up with a very smooth finish after you repaint. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is noticeable if you are familiar with Q grills. I cleaned it up with Simple Green and #0000 Steel wool.

I painted the grill last evening. I will take some photos today and post them. The matt red paint went on good and looked a little more "orange" than I had hoped for. But after I put the clear gloss on, it darkened up nicely and looks more how I want it. University of Wisconsin Badgers Red.

I did not strip the paint. It was in pretty good condition, just some minor chips which are now not noticeable with the fresh paint. But, I have used an angle grinder and wire cup brush on several other Q grills to strip the paint. The problem with stripping the paint is that you lose all of the texturing that the original paint had and you wind up with a very smooth finish after you repaint. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is noticeable if you are familiar with Q grills. I cleaned it up with Simple Green and #0000 Steel wool.

I painted the grill last evening. I will take some photos today and post them. The matt red paint went on good and looked a little more "orange" than I had hoped for. But after I put the clear gloss on, it darkened up nicely and looks more how I want it. University of Wisconsin Badgers Red.

I just hit mine with degreaser and a power washer. Did you prime it at all or just the paint?

I cleaned up the existing paint real well and just painted. The Rustoleum High heat paint is designed to be used without primer, but they do make high heat primer as well. Besides, There were only a couple very small chips in the old paint and it was in otherwise, pretty good condition.

Here are the photos:

B2iWPdV.jpg

R9uhID3.jpg

f3yLzDS.jpg

q2e2uX2.jpg

nEqaMz8.jpg

TL2lbvf.jpg

p0RHzk2.jpg

54mrSvc.jpg

KMcJVvp.jpg

T2RAXJ3.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That came out great! Can you tell me what gloss coat you used?

I cannot find Alabama crimson color, so I am going to go with the Rust-Oleum Almond color. Will post results.

Last edited:

Back