Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Redhead Rebuild

LOL. Yah, I didn't even reailize it until I went in the house and looked in a mirror. Glad I didn't make a quick trip to Walmart for some grill cleaning supplies before noticing.

One thing I have found with the outside of the cook boxes on these grills is that it is usually just the top half that has damage to the factory paint. So, you can get by to just strip the top half above the line where it sits in the frame. Then repaint the whole thing. The transition line is covered up by the frame and you don't notice it.

TVWBB All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    LOL. Yah, I didn't even reailize it until I went in the house and looked in a mirror. Glad I didn't make a quick trip to Walmart for some grill cleaning supplies before noticing.

One thing I have found with the outside of the cook boxes on these grills is that it is usually just the top half that has damage to the factory paint. So, you can get by to just strip the top half above the line where it sits in the frame. Then repaint the whole thing. The transition line is covered up by the frame and you don't notice it.

Good point.
    Ranch Kettle x 2, MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

TVWBB Fan
    I just decided to do it all the next time if ever will try that, Bruce that is too funny basically what I looked like, took a shower had not shaved for a few days got out of the shower and my beard instead of grey was still black so a quick shave and back to normal.

Brian:
    If you are not going to sell the grill, then you are right. It isn't necessary to take it down to bare metal. But when a person (Potential buyer) looks at a 15 year old grill and the cook box is nice and clean and shiny metal, it is a great selling point. Same goes with the inside of the lid. It doesn't need to be taken down to shiny clean ceramic like the outside, because after one cook it will be dirty again. But to a buyer, it is another big selling point.

TVWBB Fan
    Are you guys and gals spraying the bottom of the firebox also or is that just a waste of paint obviously would have to mask it off so paint does not get inside. Also I thought the Weber Stainless Grates were way more than $79 bucks the 7639 at Amazon. Those are rods I believe.

TVWBB Fan
    Help bottom of firebox the grates. I believe they will fit the 1000.

TVWBB All-Star
    Brian, if I pull the firebox off the frame, I paint the outside of the whole thing. Can do spray paint is $7, so added cost is minimal and its not much work to tape off.
    Last edited by DaveW; 08-16-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    Ranch Kettle x 2, MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

TVWBB All-Star
    Those grates are for the Spirit 300 series, which I believe will fit the Genny 1000-5000 as well

TVWBB Fan
    Thanks Dave yes its off the frame so going to paint the whole thing just wanted to check should finish this weekend, the grates should fit was a 1000 review said they did I would love RC"s stuff but may do another one down the road so for $79 bucks its a good comprise and its an original Weber part if I go to sell this one it won't hurt me.

TVWBB All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian B Atlanta View Post
    Thanks Dave yes its off the frame so going to paint the whole thing just wanted to check should finish this weekend, the grates should fit was a 1000 review said they did I would love RC"s stuff but may do another one down the road so for $79 bucks its a good comprise and its an original Weber part if I go to sell this one it won't hurt me.

Nothing wrong with that plan.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast