Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Redhead Rebuild

TVWBB Fan

My Redhead Rebuild

Just started had a number of issues but wanted to get the before pictures in here.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Those are classic "before" pictures! Looking forward to "after"!

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    I'm sure it will turn out very nice Brian.
    Here's the before and after pics of one I did for my son.

TVWBB Super Fan
    That handle is gorgeous! Did you fabricate it or is it an original that you refinished?

TVWBB Fan
    Bob that looks like the original handle I have a plan to restore mine going to use solid stain its in good shape problem is one of the bolts on the left side will not come out I got one more thing to try. 5 of the end cap studs would not come out figured how to grind those nuts little damage to the screws but they lost their bite not sure if just putting new washers and nuts on them will hold but hopefully like the stud look. I can fix the handle shoot some finishing nails through the bottom uses some wood filler solid stain think I will be fine. I had asked Bruce this he has a different setup for the drop down he found a donor with the sliding bracket mine just has a bracket in the back lift it up then a hole to put the rod in which is bent by the way worried about how solid that is but you did a beautiful job by the way.

TH wanted to get the before stuff done always fun to see what they look like in the end.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Looks familiar. Looking forward to seeing the end result.
    Before

After
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian B Atlanta View Post
    Bob that looks like the original handle I have a plan to restore mine going to use solid stain its in good shape problem is one of the bolts on the left side will not come out I got one more thing to try. 5 of the end cap studs would not come out figured how to grind those nuts little damage to the screws but they lost their bite not sure if just putting new washers and nuts on them will hold but hopefully like the stud look. I can fix the handle shoot some finishing nails through the bottom uses some wood filler solid stain think I will be fine. I had asked Bruce this he has a different setup for the drop down he found a donor with the sliding bracket mine just has a bracket in the back lift it up then a hole to put the rod in which is bent by the way worried about how solid that is but you did a beautiful job by the way.

TH wanted to get the before stuff done always fun to see what they look like in the end.
    Brian, I think you are missing the slider for your lift up I see the hole where it mounts on one leg if you have a hole on both legs that's where the slider mounts.
    As far as I can tell the part is no longer available, you might want to put a post in buy, sell, trade and see if one of the forum members has one laying around they would be willing to part with.
    Last edited by Rich Dahl; 08-06-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Fan
    Rich I followed your thread that was the one you drove 9000 miles for is it not?
    If you look at the lower right edge of my control panel you see a ding or something when I looked at your build it almost looked like you had the same thing not really sure what would have done that. I think might take some caliper black paint with a foam brush the Jeff trick to cover that bit of rust. Let me ask also is everyone painting the bottom of the fireboxes my rails have some rust thinking of hitting them with a rust treatment hit it with some high heat primer then the ultra. Would tape the opening to the firebox obviously with paper to make sure not paint gets in there.

TVWBB Fan
    Rich on mine and I think it was the same with Bruce there is no slider, on the back frame there is a bracket where the the rod goes in when it is down. When you put it up there is a hole to plug it into.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THyde View Post
    That handle is gorgeous! Did you fabricate it or is it an original that you refinished?
    Thanks, it's original.
    I didn't do a full blown, take apart rehab, just cleaning (didn't get too carried away on the inside, just scrapped off what would come off) new FB's, and ignitor.
    Cleaned and stained the wood, and painted the outside firebox.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast