Sam's Club Steakhouse Tri-Tip Cook - Not Recommended

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I took a flyer on a 3 lb. Tri-Tip at Sam's Club. It was marinated and seasoned. Labeled USDA Choice. I hope the link works.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhoUdrtNzCbOhQkAEuluL5a3uYIA
Our daughter stopped by as I got it out of the fridge and I had her take a picture of it in the package.

Cooking just for me and the wife I cut it in haalf and vacuum sealed the other half. The meat was well marbled. I cooked it on the Performer with indirect heat at 350 for 40 minutes and the meat temp was up to 125. I then seared it 2 minutes a side above the coals and the internal temp was up to 135 so I took it off the grill. Smoke wood was 3 golf ball size chunks of Oak. After a 15 minute rest I sliced it into 1/2 in. thick slices and served. Welllll - the taters were good.

The thick Peppercorns were overwhelming. The interior meat (medium rare) tasted of a spice that neither of us could identify. Edible but not my favorite beef taste. The meat was almost tender but had sinew through t and there was some sort of membrane on the outside. I know two guys I would recommend the Tri-Tip to but only because I do not like them at all and they're not on this forum.

I'm going to try and salvage the other half after we have eaten good food for a few days. I'm going to scrape everything off the other piece, inject with low Sodium Beef Broth and concoct some kind of rub. Thinking WSM at 225 for as long as it takes. I'm afraid I'm just going to be putting lipstick on a pig but I like to play with my food so why not. Any thoughts on this.

Last edited:
No pic for me (says it doesn't exist).
7yagZl5.jpg

Primary reason I never buy "pre-seasoned" meats, be it pork, chicken, turkey or beef. Tri tip we had from Walmart (Sam's distant relative I believe ;) ) was good. Prime and unseasoned.

Last edited:
I'm learning how to share pics on one drive. I hope the new link works.

Timothy, other than Corned Beef I have never purchased prepared meat. Like I said, "I took a flyer". I posted this to let others know but I was also expecting someone to kid me about being too old to make a dumb mistake like that. :eek:

Yep, corned beef, when I don't do it myself, is about the only thing I buy that way too. It's good to experiment now and then, otherwise we might miss something really good! Thanks for the caution on this one!
I Picked up an "Easy Carve" ham at Costco to take to the cottage for an easy dinner and it was excellent, BTW.
Working with a kettle that was in need of some more parts than I had access to! I did install new handles and cooking grates but, I didn't know the sweepers were shot, I blew through charcoal like a rookie! For years up there I have on,y used about 20 lb. in a week, this time I just sailed through almost 30! I've always been able to shut it down and use "second round coal" for the week.

Half the fun of BBQ is making your own marinade, making your own rub and making your own mop sauce. This year I've taken it to the next level by growing my own peppers for my rubs & marinade. Many of my mop sauces are either whiskey or rum based. My goal is to make my own whiskey & rum :)

Odd shape on that Tri Tip. Agree with Len, ingredients don't look too appetizing. I've done a couple of pre-marinated tri tips from Costco that were very good. Believe they were Morton or Norton. The only other time I've gone that route was one from our local butcher shop. It was terrible and went in and told them. They gave me a free one, but I took the fresh this time.

Sam's like Wal-mart or any big chain is gonna offer pre marinated stuff that is done off site, and they offer it cause they know it will make a profit because convenience sells.
I'm all about making my own, but my local Montgomery/Mexi mart sells pre marinated/spiced meats that are quite good and at a reasonable price.

Tim

That's a bummer Lew, but you're not alone. Been down that road once or twice, but never again. I have all kinds of marinades that I make and most importantly I know what's in them, no mystery 35 letter chemical names.

Thanks for the review. I was curious about that package but decided to pass. Next time at Sam's Club just ask the butcher for a couple whole tri-tips.

I will not buy pre seasoned meat, and have not for many years now. The Sams Clubs in Illinois have been offering a marinated tri tip in packaging
that does not show the meat lately. No sale if I can not at least see the meat.

Back