Meathead Book- The Science of great bbq and grilling

Noel Hartough

I have several books- including Aaron Franklin a Meat Smoking Manifesto-
For Central Texas BBQ it's my Bible

But for everything else about meat, heat, smoke, and grilling etc... I can't recommend Meathead's book highly enough.
I believe anyone who is serious about grilling and or, smoking meats should have this as a reference at all times.

My grilling game went up 50% the first cook after reading this book.

I understand why certain things have happened in a way I have never understood before.

I thought I was a pretty conscientious griller and cook, and the bottom line is I was doing a lot wrong.

For the first time I was able to take frozen chicken wings, water thaw them, use a simple marinade and grill them so they came out fully cooked but with a crispy bite AND tender and juicy on the inside.

I used the reverse sear technique-

There is science in this book that supports what he says, including explaining why certain myths aren't true.

This is the best grilling book I have ever read

Meathead is a good guy, a fellow Chicago native. But he does reference back to this site on occasion and I believe most, or some of the really popular experts learned a lot reading this site first.

Tim

Meathead is a good guy, a fellow Chicago native. But he does reference back to this site on occasion and I believe most, or some of the really popular experts learned a lot reading this site first.
Well, this is a very nice thing to say. However, we all stand on the shoulders of others. Most of what I know I learned from someone else, then I added my own twist or special sauce and made it my own. That's how knowledge advances over time, whether cooking in general or barbecuing/grilling in particular.

My only nit to pick about some of the website articles (not the book, I don't own it) is that many of the pages appear cluttered and confusing, and some of the articles are not as concise as they could be. But who am I to judge? The guy built a site into a $500K+ business and sold it to a ready-to-eat ribs company...I'm not jealous. :D

For those interested in buying Meathead's book and supporting this forum while you're at it, here's a link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/054401846X/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

I've had the book for about 9 months and gave a copy to my married Grandson along with an ECB I cobbled together for his birthday. I also pointed him to this site. I started smoking in 2011 and most of what I learned was here, Tne Vrtual Weber Bullet site, Chris, and Amazingribs. Chris, most definitely, when it came to learning about cooking on the WSM.

Chris - you're number 1, Meathead #2. :wsm:

Tim

I have to agree with Tim. Meatheads site is very good as is his book and I've learned a lot from both. However this site is the very first site I joined when I bought my WSM and the vast majority of what I know I have learned here.

The guy built a site into a $500K+ business and sold it to a ready-to-eat ribs company...

Based in South Holland, IL, also near Chicago, Rupari is famous for producing Tony Roma's slow cooked and naturally smoked ribs and pulled pork barbecue...

Ironic that Rupari/ Tony Roma's owns meat head's site now. Maybe they ought to take a cue from that website AND this one because, they aren't very good.
Thanks to this site (& meatheads), I think all of us can make far better 'Q than Tony Roma's - with our eyes closed!

This is the first book I bought and yeah, it's perfect if you want to understand the basics of cooking outdoors. While the website has the same amount of info, I'm not a fan of the pushy advertising and the subscription model.. Better buy the book, it's a fair deal.

Recently, I received this book as a gift. Gotta say that I like it a lot. Trying some of the recipes and enjoying them.

Back